Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2001, 01:14 PM

Default Anyone got a G4 533 with dual monitors working with no DAE 6042 errors?

Hey All,
Anyone got a G4 533 with dual monitors working with no DAE 6042 errors? Here's my set-up:

G4, 533
384 RAM
40 gig
60 gig for recording only
Bare bones extensions
OO1 in a slot
Video Card in a slot for second monitor

I get 6042 errors constantly with the second video card in. Soon as I take it out and use only the one monitor on the AGP slot (or whatever it is slot) I get no errors what so ever. I have 2 beautiful 22 inch vga monitors that I would like to use. I know all about the recommended million dollar digi approved dual video card and don't want to spend the cash on it as I have heard people having problems with it. Anyone got 2 monitors working cheaply? How did you do it? Can you give us all a step by step please?

Thanks,
Most Humble,
Dave
Old 06-03-2001, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Anyone got a G4 533 with dual monitors working with no DAE 6042 errors?

Disable the Multi Processing extension. This is a known issue. PT is not MP aware anyway..so you loose nothing performance wise within PT in doing this.

The MP systems are causing bus timing errors. Disabling the extension should take care of most of your errors. Using 2 monitors has also been a problem on PT since version 5. I would try the MP extension first..then..try disabling any ATI extensions if you are using an ATI card. This will disable the hardware acceleration for your card..but..it is not needed ..unless your trying to play games while using PT

Disable..Quickdraw 3d...and all Opengl extensions as well.

This should help.

dcornutt
Old 06-03-2001, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Anyone got a G4 533 with dual monitors working with no DAE 6042 errors?

dcornutt,
Thanks! Have done all that you have said to do weeks ago as I have been searching the DUC on this now since I got my single G4 533 about 2 months ago. I tried everything with no help at all.

I guess that's why I'm hoping someone has success with my same set up and will chime in. I do have 5.1LE by the way. Forgot to mention that.

Anyone got my set up with 2 monitor success please?

Thanks again dcornutt,
Most humble,
Dave
Old 06-03-2001, 09:36 PM

Search the DUC Search Engine for "Matrox Dual Head AGP"....
Old 06-04-2001, 09:29 AM

Slaterman,
Thanks! Tried it many ways with no luck on the search, but thanks though!

Anyone out there got the same set up as me and got it working?

Maybe I should ask, how many got the same set up as me and CAN'T get dual monitors working! Maybe then we could present the list of unsatisfied customers to digi!

Please chime in either way!

Thanks,
Most Humble,
Dave
Old 06-04-2001, 06:58 PM

Here are some links:

http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum25/HTML/001898.html

http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/003277.html

http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/002623.html

http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/004917.html

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by Slaterman (edited June 04, 2001).]
Old 06-05-2001, 09:20 AM

Thanks Slaterman!

Actually we are getting closer! I think I read all these posts in the past and if I did it was still a good refresher.

Let's try to hone in. The posts concentrate on old G4's with PT 5.0 or 5.01LE working fine with the promax card. I have heard/read posts that the new G4's are different on the dual monitor issue, thus what has worked on old G4's and PT versions is not the same as what will work on the new G4's and PT 5.1LE. That's why I am asking if anyone with a new G4 would chime in. I need a realtime example of the promax card working on a new G4 or anything working on a new G4 that will get 2 monitors up without any 6042 errors. The promax card sounds promising but I need actual real world results from someone before I spend the cash!

Here are the specs to my system again incase you forgot from way above:

G4, 533
PT 5.1LE
OS 9.1
384 RAM
40 gig system drive
60 gig for recording only
Bare bones extensions (trashed MP extension)
OO1 in a slot
Video Card in a slot for second monitor

No one is running dual monitors on a new G4?

Thanks again Slaterman,
Most Humble,
Dave

Old 06-05-2001, 10:49 AM

DPM,

I have a very similar set up, though a dual 533 with the MP file removed. However, there is one difference.

Ever since I've made separate partitions for my main apps - FInal Cut Pro and Pro Tools, I've never had monitor-related problems. i think it's one thing to have a bare bones extensions set, versus a dedicated partition and system folder for just the application.

I'm not a programmer, so my evidence is only anecdotal, but it seems the mere presence of extra extensions, loaded or not, are cause for trouble sometimes. Once I partitioned Ii've never had monitor related errors (only some bounce to disk trouble with hour+ files).

And, regarding your bare bones set, I'm not sure if you have 9.1 extensions plus digi extensions..this seems to work best, rather than weeding through the 9.1 extensions too.

This probably didn't help much, but you might want to give partitioning with dedicated system folders a go.

best,
Sean
Old 06-06-2001, 12:37 AM

Sean,
Good point. The thing to remember is that not ALL extensions, control panels..and otherwise (meaning all those folders etc..that are just sitting in the sys folder..not control panels..or..etc)..are listed in the extensions manager. Even if you turned ALL your extensions/controlpanels..and startup folders OFF..there are still items that are loaded that reside in the system folder.

Take a look at your extensions manager. There are only control panels, extensions and startup items. Now look in your system folder. There are many, many items not included in this list. New apps can install their own folders in the sys folder that do not show up in extensions manager. Not to mention if they install fonts..etc..which can be corrupted or otherwise conflict with things.

All of this is the reason why using a seperate partition can fix things..that extension manager cannot. Its not easy tracking down conflicts here. Some people use conflict catcher..but..I have not had good results with it:...there is only one item conflict catcher cannot test....itself!

Anyway..as you install things along the way..there are many items that can get installed into your system folder..that you are not even aware of. I've even seen OLD mac software..sold as new versions..whcih would overwrite your QT version with version 3!! without any warning..or..checks.

So..be careful. One would think that the new machines/G4's with their extra PCI bus bandwidth..wider and faster memory architecture..etc..would have better performance..etc. The facts that are coming foward about this whole PCI bus issue with PT is that its NOT a bandwidth issue..meaning its somehow "soaking" or taking up all available bandwidth..its a "timing" issue..to which PT is extemely sensitive to.

If anything disrupts PT's communication for even an instance..and in the wrong way..it will trigger this error.

There could be another side of this as well. EVen if the extesnions..or other items in the system folder are not conflicting with PT per se...it could well be..that they ARE taking up memory..system memory. While its easy to add more memory allowance for apps...it doesn't work this way for the system folder thats running. Its supposed to be "growable".

Some of the tech articles on mac memory management are basically so convoluted and technical rocket science mixed with voodoo!

Most of this is because its based on the same memory architecture from the 80's! Any error in how this memory heap "grows"..could easily trigger errors..memory crashes of type 1 or 3...(1 being more of a "bus error" 3 being more..direct memory or "call" related).

My point is..even if an extesnion (or other item)..when loaded..behaves itself..and gets along ok with PT..it can STILL be troublesome in otherways..if..its memory space..in the system heap..is not handled properly.

Anway...more info than anyone needed probably. The point to remmeber is..take a look at your system folder and compare it to your extensions manager. Youll see that more than half the items are not listed or reflected in the extesnions manager. All of those things in your system folder..can be suspect to causing problems.

This is why..making a seperate startup disk..with just PT on it..can fix some of those problems...that the extensions manager cannot. Digi always recommends..starting with OS "whatever" base..as a starting point for your extesnions set. As I have pointed out..this doesn't toggle off ANY of the items that other apps have installed that are NOT in the extensions /control/startup folders.

Understanding this concept..can help tremendously in troubleshooting your mac.

Here is my short list of the worst offenders..over time..when it comes to extensions..and other system maladies..and are my first suspects in tracking down problems.

Anything by Microsoft.
Anything by ATI
Apple Quickdraw 3d extensions..and some of the other multimedia components.
(QD 3d takes up over a MEG of ram in your system heap!..even if your not using it)
Anything by AOL
Epson drivers
Umax drivers
Any Games..and their multimedia components.
Any USB driver from a 3rd party.
Virus software
Nortons Utilities extentions
Apple multi passwords and keychain
Appletalk
Apple speech

Just remember..when you disable the extension for any of these things..you may not be disabling ALL the things that are loading.

dcornutt
Old 06-06-2001, 03:38 AM

Been using Promax dual card and 39160 in my G4 533 SP for months with no problems. Mix++