Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Exclamation VEP5 isn't nulling with Pro Tools, why?

I noticed that when I use Vienna Ensemble Pro to host my VIs (or send audio to VEP and then back), it doesn't result in a perfect null when I do the equivelent plugins in Pro Tools.

I tried using a single sample in Kontakt, and when I bounced the RTAS version to one track, VEP to another, and inverted the phase of one, they don't completely cancel each other out. The very first time I did that test today, it actually DID cancel, but when I tried again now they won't.

What could be causing this? I've tried different buffer settings (for PT and VEP), different bit depths, disabling delay comp, etc, but I can't get it to null again. Does this mean that Vienna actually sounds different than Pro Tools or it just something funny going on? I'm wondering if I should stick to Pro Tools to avoid a change in sound quality. The strange thing is that the null test did work the very first time, but not since.

Does anyone know the reason for this? At what settings do they null perfectly, and should I be concerned about that at all?

Thanks so much for the input
OSX 10.7.5
Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Default Re: VEP5 isn't nulling with Pro Tools, why?

I can't say what's going on, nor can I test this myself, but VEP occasionally needs to be "re-calibrated" by toggling the ADC engine off/on. I mainly work with a buffer of 512 samples.

If the test did work earlier, it's pretty safe to say that VI's in VEP doesn't sound any different than VI's in PT. I've also found that the timing seems very tight and solid over network, but I haven't tried any null tests.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 PM

are you using a VI with reverb built in? Those ones wont null usually.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Uhhhh...dude? Gearslutz is over there...

But in all seriousness, are you really working on something where it would actually make a difference?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM

I've heard people say that vepro sounded slightly muffled in the high end compared to other hosts, but haven't ever noticed it myself so I've never bothered to do the test.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?