Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2008, 05:56 AM

Default PT is unable to communicate with HUI - HELP!!

Dear All,

I am having problems when configuring PT LE 7.4cs7 and my DM-4800.
The error I am having is "Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings".
I got a document from Tascam Customer Service and went thru all of it but it is not working.
I am using Windows XP SP2, Quad Core 6600, 2Gb RAM and all firmwares are up to date.

Thanks a lot,

Gines
Old 10-29-2008, 06:15 AM

Default Re: PT is unable to communicate with HUI - HELP!!

We need more information to be able to help you:

How is the DM-4800 connected currently? It's really difficult to tell you if you have something connected wrong if we don't know how you have it connected.

Have you selected HUI emulation on the DM?

What, exactly, are you selecting in the Pro Tools controllers dialog?

Have you read the "DAW Controllers" section of the DM-4800 Manual?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 AM

Yeah, do as Spk suggested and follow the instructions in the DM manual. Put the DM in PT Cntrl mode and start up PT last or it won't recognize it.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:03 AM

Hi guys!

I got time to go to the studio and was able to capture some screenshots that are enclosed in the zip file on this file.

The way I have it connected is:

003Rack <----Firewire-----> PC <-----USB-------> DM-4800

I did all the configuration following the PT remote control setup guide, and also reviewing the DAW controller section at the DM's manual.

Please let me know if you need anything else, I dont know what else to say or even imagine why it is not working...

I dont know if it is relevant, but when I press remote on the layer status and then move the fader on the mixer it moves on pro tools, but the opposite way doesn't work, I mean, if I move the fader on protools it doesn't move on DM.

Thanks again,

Gines
Old 11-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Hi,

Maybe, just maybe... you need only ONE instant of HUI selected in the midi-controller setup tab. I use an original HUI myself and if I select the midi-controllers 3 times (like you did) it starts to act weird...

Hope it helps!

Edo
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 AM

Thanks Edo, I already tried it but didn't work.

If I use with my mac it works perfectly, I don't know what to think about...

Gines
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM

I have a DM-24 so the setup is similar....

You need to make sure MIDI OUT of the DM4800 is routed to MIDI IN on the 003R and vice versa (you have 2 pairs on the 003R choose MIDI Ports 1). You can use the multiple instances of HUI with this mixer, but I would suggest trying with one just to make sure it works before adding the rest.

Somethings I noticed...

1 - Under peripherals - check both boxes.

2 - MTC Reader and Generater ports should be defined - in this case the 003R MIDI ports that are connected to the mixer.

3 - Under Pref - sychronization - selected both boxes relating to Machine Contol.

- KB