Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: pc to mac ???

On the Apple site you might benefit from looking at the "special deals" section. It's at the bottom left of the page with a red sales tag...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...0.0.3.1.1.0?93,48

What's available changes almost daily. These are great machines because the Apple folks actually go through them twice checking for problems as opposed to once for a new machine.

I would strongly suggest buying the Super drive from Apple, because the savings of buying and installing it yourself, in my opinion, don't outweigh the warranty and undeniable compatability of the Pioneer/Apple Super Drive.

If you want an additional internal drive you can save a bundle (couple hundred bucks) by getting the same Seagate Ultra ATA 100 at CompUSA or even online. Same with memory. Apple rapes you on memory.

See my system below. I bought it all from Apple and could have saved probably $800 buying the second internal and extra memory somewhere else.

My theory on laptops is that if you don't need remote/mobile recording a desktop is vastly superior.

Jace
Waves Platinum
NI Komplete 8
API 512c, LA 610
Some Mics, Some guitars
Some Songs
Old 04-08-2004, 10:31 PM

Sorry to hear your PC is crashing. I have run PTLE on PCs as long as PTLE has existed. So I know its possible to have a stable PC and PTLE. I can also tell you that I really love my Mac and will eventally replace my Allenstien machine with another Mac. Probably a notebook , after I move up to a 002R or plunge into a Mix system.

The best Mac bang for the buck right now is gonna be the G4 Dual 1.25. I bought mine as a open box special at a local CompUsa for 1500 with AppleCare . If your thinkin about notebooks then get a Titanium 1 Ghz w/o superdrive and buy a external FW DVD Buner. Smalldog.com , Powermax.com and the Apple store all have this model as refurbs for 1849 then add on Applecare. The Ti 800/1G notebooks have 1 meg L3 cache whereas the Aluminum ones have 512k and are more expensive. Note sure if this makes huge difference in track/plug count, but every little bit helps.

The Mac is not a panacea, but it is the best computer I've owned.

the 'slide

Old 04-09-2004, 04:04 AM

There are other reasons you might want to move to a Mac. However, if you simply want a powerful system and you're used to Windows, why not get a PC that's built for audio? You could spend half as much and get as much or more power. I run LE on a 2Ghz P4 laptop built for audio and it's totally stable and many times more capable than my Powermac at home.

Depressing, but true.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:00 PM

jace,

you seem to be knowledgeable on macs. i've just bought 002r and want to buy a mac to run a home studio doing jingles / 1 or 2 tracks at a time / using midi keyboard and soft synth thats included with the 002r. what is the least expensive way for me to go. is a single g4 enough or do i need to go dual g4. i'll probably only record 20 tracks.

thanks in advance
mike