Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Sampler for ADR?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good, REALLY simple plug-in sampler to use for grabbing BG fill for ADR playbacks?
Old 09-09-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Sampler for ADR?

I use kontakt for this and for quickly feeding the ADR cues to the talent from production tracks. I usually create a patch for each character.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I use kontakt for this and for quickly feeding the ADR cues to the talent from production tracks. I usually create a patch for each character.
how is this better than just editing the tracks? i'm missing something...
Old 09-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Same confusion here, is sampling a bit of fill quicker than just cut & paste for playback?

Thanks for the info

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 PM

Sometimes it's nice to sample the line to be replaced, and trigger it manually while recording wild and have the talent say the line after they hear it. Kind of like real old-school looping. We often do this when the actor just can't get a good performance using the normal 3 beep method. A sampler is also useful for quickly grabbing a bit of fill off the production track and having it just loop on a fader so you can ride in and out when you play back a recorded ADR line. Both methods are faster than cutting a track together, and allow more flexibility during the session. True, you could cut the sample production line on to a track several times with a gap inbetween, but often the director or ADR supervisor will make comments or give direction between tries, so it's nice to be able to trigger it at will and not have to stop or be stuck with a fixed interval between attempts. Using a sampler for fill is nice too because you can have a small library at your disposal, or grab a new loop from the specific show you're working on. The talent and the director are not going to sit around and wait while you cut together a BG track, but throwing a piece of fill into a sampler for playback is quick. There is also the bigger issue that the top ADR mixers in town are NOT editors, so we have to provide them with tools they are somewhat familiar with. A very fast editor could probably pull all this off without a sampler, but they will likely not have the experience and client skills that are required of a top ADR mixer. That may change over time, but for now I was just looking for a way to get off our Eventide. I will look in to Kontact. Has anyone tried Kompact? It looks like it would work for what I need. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:33 PM

Thanks, Evan, for the info.
Like you, I almost always prefer doing "sound-onlies". Hear the line, say the line. I think ADR kind of took a step backwards when doing it to picture came into vogue, as in my view looking at the picture while performing is a distraction. The actor shouldn't be thinking "Am I in sync? Do I look OK? Am I in sync?". It's a major contributor to the "The ADR just doesn't have the FEEL that the original had" objection. And, a good ADR supervisor will be able to tell if the line will cut satisfactorily, just by the rhythm.
Anyway, interesting ideas. And I agree: unless your ADR mixer is a proficient editor, to create quick fills for playback a sampler would probably do the trick a lot better!
Good luck, l'll keep an eye on this thread

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 09-11-2006, 03:35 AM

I also use Kontakt for quick foley. I used to do this with a Synclav years ago, and revisited the process with Kontakt recently, and it is outstanding. The beauty of it is, recording midi in halfspeed playback, because kontakt plays back at halfspeed as well, and you can really nail the timing. I have a bunch of patches I created, and every surface is layed out across the keyboard in the same order with walks, scuffs, jumps, etc. and it is great to be able to audition different surfaces without replacing the performance.

As far as Kompaktgoes, it is only a sample player. I've tried every soft sampler plug, and Kontakt has the best interface for editing patches, hands down.