Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Default Brand New

Hi,

Forgive me in adance if what I am about to ask has already been posted because I am brand new, quite frustrated as I write this message and am trying to obtain answers to issues I have as a Brand New owner/user of Pro Tools 8.0.4 M-Powered 8.

I have many questions but will attempt to ask for help with two.

Again if they are there, having never used a Forum before and I really don't have time to search but need answers forgive my asking what may have already been asked or posted.

Also, please, I am not a techie but am capable of doing what needs to be done as long as who ever explains will put it in as simple a process as possible. You who are really good at this need to know the majority of us need, maybe I should be speaking for myself, 1. do this, 2. do this, 2. when you do this, this is what to look for, click on it, 3. do this, until all possible processes have been completed to get the end results which hopefully is success. I know that once I become more familiar and start using this powerful program and it is, I won't have to be posting questions.

Now, here is my first question.

This is with regards to, I assume this is what you call the pattern seen when doing a voice over audio recording, waveform. When I started to record, I could see the pattern that appears the same way an Earthquake pattern appears, for lack of a better explanation. Now, I was fine working and recording and re-recording until I obtained what I needed then, started to edit, take out to long of a pause, etc. I watched those editing sections change to seaparte compartments, I assume these are the Regions, not sure. Next, I finished everything listened and was pleased with the end results now I wanted to make it appear like one unit as it did prior to editing. Well, I was unable to do so without screwing something up and I looked and looked and looked in the Manual for what to do or how to do it and it was about as clear as mud. So, I made sure I saved that original end product even though it had these separate compartments. The voice over recording was fine.

Now what happened next, I haven't got a clue. I may have accidently hit a key that changed that waveform to what I now was seeing which was a long snake like waveform. A single line and let me tell you, I really became frustrated because I was unable to even figure out where the heck what I saw originally went to and the line seemed so long that I am certain it would have extended from California where I live to New York City. If lets say I wanted to do a little more editing, it now became impossible because I was unable to place a line, starting point to maybe do a little more editing because I had no clue as to where they heck I was in relation to what I would see clicking off on the time element.

So, having shared this and hopefully you haven't fallen asleep or are angry, where did I hit whatever took place to change the original recording pattern into this long line pattern but more important where in the world on the tools bar do I go to change it back to what I originally saw. I am sure it is there somewhere but as I said, looking in the manual surely doesn't tell me, it doesn't even tell you what it is called or if it does I sure am missing something and living in California Gold Country, I could find that with less effort than what it has taken to locate the What Buttons to Press and I still am searching.

Now my second question is with regards to making the finished product into a Wav, MP3, Quick-Time, etc., format to be able to email or do whatever you need to pass it along.

The explanation in the Manual under Bounce is about as helpful as the product itself which freshens and softens your clothes, no pun intended. If you think I have had fun with the first situation I just finished discussing, you have no clue what this one has done.

I even have a workbook that tells me what to do and I still have been unable to do so. Again, the instructions are extremely poor. Sorry, but I am the person as I shared in the beginning who needs do this, then do this, then do that, and it is finished. I have a product my message I want to send to someone who is assisting me and I cannot even do so, because the messages I receive while trying to accomplish this tasks will say for instance, The MP3 optioin cannot be enabed because: Module initializatoin failed for MP3.dll. The MP3 demo period may have expired and then you click OK and you are back to Bounce. No cigar as they say. I tried looking up Module initializatoin in the search section of the manual and guess what, I think it got lost with my original waveform pattern and they are having a great time hidding so I cannot find them.

So, again, what and how, again, please, do this, do this, do that and you will have your recorded message in a Wav, MP3, AIFF, etc.

Sorry it took this long to ask my questions, I am new and probably you are saying have already extended my allowable time.

Thank you really though from the bottom of my heart if someone can help me, because once I have this, then hopefully I can move on.

Have a Great Day,

Noel
Old 09-03-2010, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Brand New

Take a deep breath
make some coffee
open up the "M-Powered getting started" guide (start menu>digidesign>documentation\)