Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Best way to Transfer Protools from G4 to Apple Pro

Hi all. What would be the best way to put my whole Protools HD system that is running on my G4 and transfer it to my new Apple Pro (just got for Christmas! ; )
I have a lot of plugs including the waves gold bundle, so before I did anything I wanted to make sure I did the transfer without having much down time.
Thanks
Daniel
Old 12-25-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Best way to Transfer Protools from G4 to Apple Pro

reinstall everything from scratch. pretend it's new (because it is!!!) period. end of discussion. now go do it before someone tries to tell you otherwise.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:11 PM

I concur if you dont start from scratch
you will be scratching your head when you get the SWOD over and over and over..
FYI dont use any disks that come with the new system download the latest and greatest

you can import your mailbox's, bookmarks, and address book
not much else though

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 12-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

A couple of things worth mentioning...

1 - The Mac Pro requires Pro Tools HD 7.2.1 or higher. If you have Pro Tools 7.1 or below, you will need to purchase the current upgrade to Pro Tools HD 7.4.

2 - If your HD PCI cards were installed inside the G4, you will not be able to install them inside the Mac Pro, which requires HD PCIe (PCI Express) cards if installing in the Mac Pro PCIe slots.

Or you would need one of the following PCI expansion chassis:
Magma PE6R4 Expansion Chassis with HD PCI cards in the chassis and PCIe host card in the Mac Pro
- Requires Pro Tools HD 7.3.1cs1 or higher
Digidesign HD|Expansion Chassis with HD PCI cards in the chassis and PCIe host card in the Mac Pro

Pro Tools HD 7.x with Apple Mac Pro compatibility pages.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:15 PM

Well if I am understanding whats going on here. I will not be able to use my feaking brand new computer without spending 3 or 4 grand? That really sucks. I was amped thinking that the new computer my girlfriend got me for Christmas was gonna rock. Now its back to the store for a refund tomorrow! And stuck with piece of s$%t G4.
Isnt there another Core card, etc that will fit in the Mac Pro that a trade in of my HD3 to a newer piece of hardware would solve? I see an upgrade, but does that mean I have to swap out my whole HD3 for the upgrade? The 'Oh mighty dollar' rules again!
Needless to say I can sit here and grip all day, but just bumbed that it's not gonna work out of the box or without dropping some serious cash.
Daniel
Old 12-25-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Well if I am understanding whats going on here. I will not be able to use my feaking brand new computer without spending 3 or 4 grand? That really sucks. I was amped thinking that the new computer my girlfriend got me for Christmas was gonna rock. Now its back to the store for a refund tomorrow! And stuck with piece of s$%t G4.
Isnt there another Core card, etc that will fit in the Mac Pro that a trade in of my HD3 to a newer piece of hardware would solve? I see an upgrade, but does that mean I have to swap out my whole HD3 for the upgrade? The 'Oh mighty dollar' rules again!
Needless to say I can sit here and grip all day, but just bumbed that it's not gonna work out of the box or without dropping some serious cash.
Daniel
Oh well... once you get the refund, you could get a nice G5 2.0-2.7 PPC. There are a couple of those that use PCIe, but most are PCIx.(you can use your cards, and get a huge boost in power) It sure pays to do a little research before going down that road. At the top of this page there is a link labled compatibility .That is a good place to start. Look at the bright side... you will have a few bucks left over that you can spend on the plugin/PT/OS upgrades and such that you may need as well. SB
Old 12-25-2007, 04:46 PM

Sometimes, I can't stop myself from finding humor in another's realization of what this really takes. The moment the wall drops between fantasy and reality is priceless. Too bad there can't be a candid camera present.

If you want to salvage the situation, here's what you'll need:

Magma PE6R4 expansion chassis: $2149
Pro Tools 7.4 full install: $199

This is by far the least expensive hardware solution to your problem. Upgrading to an Accel Core and two HD Accel cards would not be as inexpensive even with some sort of trade-in.

Now, to the plug-ins. If you're not up on WUP, be prepared to feel as though you were taking it in the shorts to get Waves up and running on an Intel Mac, especially if you don't have version 5. As for your other plug-ins, you better do some deep research.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Oh boyeee the excitement just keeps getting better and better. Or I should say more and more expensive! LOL. I wasnt aware that my Girlfriend was buying the system for me to begin with and wasnt considering upgrading..thats why I didnt do any research, but she went the extra mile...I wasnt gonna complain. She got a kick ass Mac Pro all beefed up and what a awesome machine. I think thats the part that gets me down.
Anyway, I'm glad everyone is getting a kick out of my misery on Cristmas! Oh and by the way Merry Christmas to everyone!
Thanks for all your input...good and bad!
I'll be calling Digidesign first thing and weeping to anyone that will listen. Who knows, maybe they'll feel sorry for me and give me a PCIe Expansion unit for all the hastle!

Daniel
Old 12-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I'll be calling Digidesign first thing and weeping to anyone that will listen. Who knows, maybe they'll feel sorry for me and give me a PCIe Expansion unit for all the hastle!
Wait till April 1st then you may get the answer you would like to hear
I heard last April 1st they gave everybody that $2500 warm fuzzy feeling

DO you honestly think you are the only one effected by having to spend money to keep up with the jones's
<font color="#ebaf7d">
I got 20" rims from my wife for my 5 year old SUV, and plan on calling the dealer tomorrow maybe they will toss me some sweet new tires

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear