Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM

Default 2 Questions, I\'m losing my mind! Please help!

Hello All,
Well I'm not new to Pro Tools, I'm not as experianced as many of you so wondering if you can help me out.

I'm a production Director at a radio station and I've been having some issues with my system at work that are driving me nuts!

1) When I open a session up and adjust a pan envelpoe on a "region" for some reason Pro Tools starts panning all my other audio over if I move it off the track that it was originally set on... Let me explain... I have a piece of audio on track 1 (mono) I pan it over about 50% to the left. Then I grab a different region off the same track (that I havn't panned) and move it over to where I'm working, it's fine, BUT as soon as I take that piece of audio and drop it down to track 2 it pans it more to the left. *Note* track 2 DOES HAVE a Slap Delay II (mono/stereo) on it. Is this something that the plug in does to the track? if so is there a way of stopping it from doing this? It ONLY happens if I actually adjust the pan on a region on the original track. Then I take a region that I havn't adjusted the pan and drop it down and all the sudden the Left pan is at center and the right channel is fine at 100% to the right. I am constantly having to set my pan back to 100% L, and it drives me nuts!

2) I am running PT M-Powered 7.3 on a PC. Windows XP Pro. It's a Intel Core Duo 1.86 GHz, 1 Gb RAM. Sound card is a M-Audio Delta 44. My problem is when I have a session open and something playing back, and I grab a piece of audio or basically do anything in Pro Tools while it's playing audio back, Pro Tools pauses playback until I let go of the audio or stop whatever I'm doing?... I have a Digi 002 setup in my home studio and NEVER have this issue. I can move stuff around, add plugins ect... but here at work I'm always dealing with it stopping and starting. Is there settings within Pro Tools I have to change, or is there some PC setting that will fix this? It's funny my PC at home is a single P4 3GHz, with 1 gig of RAM and it's about 2 years old, and it works fine, but this PC at work is BRAND NEW and has a dual core processor and I have these issues!

Thanks so much for any advice you can give!
Cheers
Jesse
Old 07-19-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: 2 Questions, I\'m losing my mind! Please help!

I'm not sure if I understand #1. The only thing I can think of is that maybe if you're dragging a region that has pan automation already written, it would copy that to the second track when you move it. That shouldn't be a problem though since in should only insert the automation on the region, not the entire track. I hope that makes sense. Maybe I'm just not understanding.

As far as #2, I would check "dynamic transport" on your work computer. Its under the options menu.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 07-21-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: 2 Questions, I\'m losing my mind! Please help!

When you open up your mix or edit windows, make sure the views show your track list (on the left) and region list (on the right). Look below the track list, in the "group list", It sounds like one or more mix groups are turned on. If you want to adjust an individual pan control, make sure all your mix groups are turned off. As long as a track is part of an active group, controlling one member will control all the other tracks too.

For the second issue, have you checked your windows optimizations? I assume you've turned off your screen savers and power management and all that, as recommended by DigiDesign? If so, the only thing that leaps to mind would be "slow video", in other words, your big home system probably has a mondo video card that does DMA via an AGP slot, that kind of thing, whereas your other machine might only have a "standard" video card. Have you checked into that, and if so, what's the situation?

Interesting. I'm going to check out this behavior on mine, I just got up and running with M-powered on a laptop, so let me see how it behaves and I'll get back to you.