Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2002, 12:46 AM

Default Firewire Video

I am using a firewire video capture device (Dazzle Hollywood/DV Bridge) and capturing with either iMovie or Final Cut Pro. I then import into PT and everything is great. My question is, how do I get PT to play the video back through firewire (like the video capture programs do) instead of only on the computer monitor?

Thanks!

Stephen
Old 01-15-2002, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Firewire Video

Don't worry, "dcornutt" should be along soon. But there is a configuration using free Adaptec firewire drivers or you can purchase Echo Fire. I have the cheap version (the Adaptec thing), but it's a pain and I will eventually get Echo Fire. It's only about 200bucks. I'm not the expert however. Try searching in the General Discussion forum on firewire and you'll find all the details. Good luck, --wolfie
Old 01-15-2002, 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Galvinator:
I am using a firewire video capture device (Dazzle Hollywood/DV Bridge) and capturing with either iMovie or Final Cut Pro. I then import into PT and everything is great. My question is, how do I get PT to play the video back through firewire (like the video capture programs do) instead of only on the computer monitor?
Stephen

Save yourself the hassle. Get the EchoFire drivers and all will be swell. I have the PowerR Director's Cut box, running it off a Titanium with an OWC firewire drive. I capture to Premiere 6.0, and all is well.

-Craig
Old 07-24-2002, 09:24 AM

Did this ever work out for you or did you find a different solution? I'm curious about the adaptec drivers as well.
Cheers,
Jamie Haggerty
Old 07-24-2002, 10:48 AM

I have it from a reliable source that the next version of ProTools (out in the Fall) will have an option to send the movie output directly to the firewire port - all you will have to do is set the movie sync offset.

I will support echofire for now, it works well once you find the right offset to compensate for the firewire latency.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:51 AM

It's out now. Version 5.3.1 supports video out of the firewire port.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 07-24-2002, 11:15 AM

Yes, I guess my "reliable source" was just someone who had already visited the updates section of digi support. Not out in Fall, out now!

Here's the quote from the Digi 5.3.1 update page:

"QuickTime™ DV playback via FireWire"

This will only work if you are using a TDM rig. ProTools LE doesn't have the "movie sync offset" option...
Old 07-24-2002, 01:17 PM

Is this for TDM HD only...PT 5.3.1?
Or is this option for Mix also?
Old 07-24-2002, 02:00 PM

Any hope of using something else for us LE users? Any work arounds with the Dazzle bridge? I didn't realize how crippled the LE software really is for post guys.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:38 PM

I think this is only an HD option right now. But my source said that the same function will be added to LE soon. I don't know about Mix. Can you run 5.3 on a Mix setup?

As far as workarounds in LE, Echofire's latency makes it impossible to do post in LE, but...

If you want to shell out a little $$$, your best option is an Aurora Fuse video capture card - you still have to have the quicktime movie window open but you can pull it "off the screen" and watch the card output on a regular NTSC monitor with no latency. The video must be compressed with Aurora's proprietary codec, which is pretty ugly, but better than all the headaches of a quicktime movie taking up all your computer's CPU and monitor real estate. The Aurora card is about 2X the cost of the DV bridge (making it about $800 in Canada, which probably makes it about $27.50 in USA).

Adam