Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2002, 01:41 PM

Default convertors / clocks / 001 / Mbox / PTHD / Neundo / Logic / DP3 / Mic pres / Neve / $$

Greetings,

I have a lot of questions, but I think I'll start with convertors and clocks first..

I've been reading some posts (new and old threads) regarding the use of Apogees' Rosetta or RME's convertors and clocks into Digi001 to get an improved sound. This has triggered some interest inside me (gear lust, not!!)

However, I do not have the above mentioned convertor / clocks, but I do have MOTU Digital Timepiece DTP which can act as clock master via SPDIF into the Digi 001.

1) First question is, if I use me MOTU DTP to act as clock master ie. set my PT LE session's sync to SPDIF (RCA) and set my DTP to Internal Clock, will I get an improvement that many of you have claimed with the Rosetta or RME's clocks ??

Here's one simple question, but I need some opinion / advice :

a) If I want to set up an A/B test myself to check out the sound quality with and without the DTP as clock master, can I just import a sound file, then perform Bounce-to-disk with sync set to internal and then to SPDIF and then play it back later to check??

here's a few "just-to-be-sure-aka-paranoid" question regarding 1a)

b) when I play it back later to check in a new PT session, should this session be clocked internally or externally? ie. if I want to import both BTD'ed files for A/B'ing

c) should I do the BTD of the internal clock version first or the external clock version? I am not sure how PT LE is written, but how can I be sure that if I set the sync to external, and then to internal later, the changes takes place immediately? Or do I have to save session, then reboot MAC to be sure it is in the new clock??*

* Do ignore my question 1c) if you think it is too paranoid of me to ask such stupid question.

d) Should the sessions be in 24 bit 48Khz to be able to hear the difference? Or can I have my regular 16 bit 44.1 kHz session for this A/B test?

2) SPDIF mirroring.
a) I have a "poor man's lexicon", the MPX200, which has SPDIF I/O @44.1kHz only. If I want to use its SPDIF OUT to return effects to my session, how do I use my DTP to clock my session then?? Should I feed the DTP's clock via SPDIF into the MPX200 and use it to route the clock into the 001??
(assuming I do the print the effects to disk first to bypass this step)

b) Actually, I have a old ADAT (The blackface one) that I use as an additional 8 audio I/O via ADAT lightpipe. Both my lightpipe's in and out are connected into the Digi 001's PCI card. And the ADAT is in turn connected to my DTP via the ADAT sync port. So next question is, does the ADAT sync embeds WORDCLOCK as well?? so I can switch the session to sync to Optical instead, and still get a good locked clock from the DTP and use the SPDIF for the lexicon's effects returns??

3) WORDCLOCK
I will be getting a used dbx 386 as my frontend / convertor to replace the 001's pres. (I really cannot afford the Rosetta or the RME at the moment to get the improved sound that you guys got). It has WORD CLOCK In and OUT (75ohm, BNC) and it also has SPDIF Out.

a) So Should I use it as the Master Clock and feed the DTP's WORD CLOCK in with the dbx 386? or the other way around?? Who should be the master?? (I think the DTP should be the master, right?)

b) when I'm using the dbx as a mic pre, I think it need to feed the 001 WORDCLOCK via SPDIF somehow, (if I'm using the SPDIF out that is), but what about when I'm doing a session mix? Should the dbx still be the master clock to the 001 ?? Or should the connection be like this :

i) DTP (MASTER WORD CLOCK's BNC to dbx 386 's WORD IN

ii) DTP ADAT SYNC to ADAT

either

iii a) dbx's SPDIF OUT to LEXICON MPX200 to 001 (sync set to Optical), or

iii b) dbx's SPDIF OUT to LEXICON MPX200 to 001 (sync set to SPDIF (RCA), or

iii c) dbx's SPDIF OUT to 001 (sync set to SPDIF (RCA) and do not use MPX200's SPDIF ??

* I also have Black burst feeding the DTP (via DTP's Video In, but DTP is set to internal, so maybe the BB does not make a difference)

That's all for the moment, getting late. It's 0545 am now in Singapore, gota' sleep.

Thanks for any comments / advice.

Regards,
www.two-rooms.com
:: www.tworooms.com
Old 01-20-2002, 08:06 AM

Default Re: convertors / clocks / 001 / Mbox / PTHD / Neundo / Logic / DP3 / Mic pres / Neve / $$

Next question, the Mbox. Have anyone tried it yet? (at NAMM, or even bought one back to try?)

My question is

4) Will Sound Manager in MAC OS 9.x recognise it as a playback and record device? ie. can I use it in other s/w other than PT LE 5.2 ??

That's all for the moment.

Thanks and Regards,
www.two-rooms.com
:: www.tworooms.com