Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2023, 12:32 AM

Default Video Ref mismatch clock --> ProTools

Dear all,

I'm struggling with a strange video ref problem within my (new) system.

When opening a session (or starting a new one) Protools gives me the message:

"a mismatch has been detected between the incoming video reference signal and the Video Ref Format settings in Session Setup"

This behaviour is not constant though. Sometimes after a few restarts it does lock perfectly and the system runs without any problems. All settings from master clock (Nanosync HD) to SyncHD to Protools are exactly the same (1080p 25fps) (hence the system does lock fine sometimes.)

Any experiences with this problem on the forum?

All the best,

Tim

M2 Pro Ventura 13.4.1
HD Native Thunderbolt ->Protools Ultimate 2023.6.0
Rosendahl Nanosync HD
Sync HD
MTRX Studio
Old 07-10-2023, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Video Ref mismatch clock --> ProTools

Hmm. That is strange.

In the Pro Tools Session Setup window, you have the Clock Reference set to Video Reference and the Video Ref Format set to 1080p - 25?

How do you have the Nanosync, the Sync HD, and the MTRX Studio wired together? I am using a MTRX Studio, Sync HD, an Aja IO4K, and an Aja Gen10 for tri-level sync. I have the Gen10 feeding video ref to both the Sync HD and the Aja IO4K. I have the Sync HD and the MTRX Studio connected together via Loop Sync. The Sync HD is set to clock from the Video Reference input via the Clock Reference field in the Session Setup window, and the MTRX Studio is set to clock to Loop Sync via the Sync Source: Loop Sync field in the Sync. page in the bottom of DADman. Everything seems to work reliably on my end.

Also, I would ask if you are using a video peripheral (you don't mention one in your specs), and if not what is the purpose of the Nanosync?
Old 07-10-2023, 12:45 PM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

I have the exact same setup (wiring scheme, DADman settings and settings in the session setup window) as you are describing. I feed a Blackmagic Ultrastudio HD Mini a video reference signal from the second video ref port from my Nanosync HD (it "sees" the video ref signal. Checked that too) The first one is connected to the Sync HD.

All the calibration indicators in the session setup window are correct but I still get the message...

Today after a few restarts all was locked again and rock solid...

I might look into finding a temp video ref clock to see if the nanosync HD is the problem or the SYNC HD. It's the last thing I can think off...

All the best,

Tim
Old 07-10-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extraa View Post
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

I have the exact same setup (wiring scheme, DADman settings and settings in the session setup window) as you are describing. I feed a Blackmagic Ultrastudio HD Mini a video reference signal from the second video ref port from my Nanosync HD (it "sees" the video ref signal. Checked that too) The first one is connected to the Sync HD.

All the calibration indicators in the session setup window are correct but I still get the message...

Today after a few restarts all was locked again and rock solid...

I might look into finding a temp video ref clock to see if the nanosync HD is the problem or the SYNC HD. It's the last thing I can think off...

All the best,

Tim
Wow. That's crazy. I hope you get it sorted. Sounds like you have everything setup correctly. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2023, 01:50 AM

Update on this thread...:

In order to find the problem I switched to another clock AND another Sync HD of a colleague. The same message appears. So it seems a software (or HD Native?/MTRX Studio?) problem.

@Scott Gatteño are you also running Apple silicon in conjunction with Ventura and latest protools?

Anybody aware of a bug?

All the best,

Tim
Old 07-12-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extraa View Post
Update on this thread...:

In order to find the problem I switched to another clock AND another Sync HD of a colleague. The same message appears. So it seems a software (or HD Native?/MTRX Studio?) problem.

@Scott Gatteño are you also running Apple silicon in conjunction with Ventura and latest protools?

Anybody aware of a bug?

All the best,

Tim

I am on a Mac Studio M1 Max 64GM RAM running macOS 12.5.1 and Pro Tools 2022.9 & 2023.6 in Rosetta. HDX1 in a Sonnet Echo-IIID TB2 chassis (Apple TB2->TB3 adapter) with a MTRX Studio & Sync HD.
Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info.
Old 07-12-2023, 08:17 AM

One other thing that just popped into my head is 75ohm termination for the Sync HD Video Ref input. I don't believe the Sync HD's Video Ref input is internally terminated. I have a 75ohm BNC terminator on the second Video Ref BNC. Maybe this could be causing issues if your video Ref input isn't terminated?
Old 07-13-2023, 12:56 AM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

The second video ref port was/is indeed terminated. I even tried to throughput the video ref signal from the sync HD to the ultra studio mini with no avail unfortunately.

I somehow have a suspicion on the HD Native interface but I do not have access to another one. I’ll see where this is going.
For now I’ll try to change the power up/start up order. Maybe this will help since restarting does get the system up and running.

I will update this thread when I found a solution.

All the best.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:08 AM

Maybe a cable that's gone weird? Have you swapped those out?
Old 07-13-2023, 07:49 AM

One of our rooms has this exact same problem. It is fixed be rebooting the HD SYNC IO and restarting Pro Tools. This issue crops up about once every few weeks.