Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2016, 04:47 PM

Default Are there any other companies that don't stoop as low as AVID out there?

So, I bought Pro Tools 10 in 2012 under the understanding that i had a perpetual license. Well, that's all fine and dandy, but in terms of staying up to date and compatible, it's eventually kind of like having a license to drive a car that doesn't drive because now that I have upgraded to El Capitan, Avid offers no updates to make pro tools 10 compatible, which is almost like extortion in the sense that if I actually want to use their software, I have to downgrade my operating system.

So I talked to customer service, and they of course are suggesting that I upgrade to pro tools 12. its 199 American to upgrade from protools ten to a pro tools 12 "perpetual license"

My response of course was , 'Why would I upgrade to a Pro Tools 12 "perpetual" license, when it is anything but...

How is it a perpetual license when if I pay 200 to upgrade to pro tools 12, Avid is going to charge me another 200 American or God even knows how much just to keep my software compatible 2 years from now?

So it is only a perpetual license if I never upgrade my operating system.
How feasible is that?

So what I want to know, is if anyone knows of any less shady companies out there who when they say they are selling you a perpetual license there is no hidden scheme to get more money out of you two years from now?

Does anyone know whether Logic, or Sonar, or Cubase or any other DAW seller out there offers a REAL "perpetual" license, or is a least little more ethical about how they manage software licenses?

I am looking to move to a new company for my DAW.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Are there any other companies that don't stoop as low as AVID out there?

it's always wise to check system compatibility before upgrading your OS version - I am still on 10.8.5 with Pro Tools 12.4 - I have had no reason to upgrade my OS to anything newer. I am curious why did you upgrade to El Capitan?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Are there any other companies that don't stoop as low as AVID out there?

Perpetual licenses don't grant perpetual compatibility or perpetual support. This is the case with all DAW software, to my knowledge.

Even Reaper, which has the most generous licensing model I've ever seen, issues licenses that cover two major releases (e.g. a Reaper v5 license will grant you use until v6.99). Beyond the two versions covered by that license, you must buy a new license - there are no upgrade discounts.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:15 PM

that upgrade or buy dilemma is only in OSX....
install bootcamp, Windows7x64 sp1 or 8.1Pro
& forget about OSX.
most MBP are amazing...

OSX is based in Unix type Operating Systems... Linux, NeXT, etc...

in those operating systems the Kernel is like a castle/fortress with a lake around, fill with crocodiles...
"Moat"

if population growths and want to expand/improve the castle, you need to rebuild/move the moat.
that costs $$$ more taxes. LOL Jajajajajajaja if want to continue to be a closed environment.

a most cityes do not have a lake to move...
some are above the lake, like Venice Italy.

The difference between a closed and open environment...

Last edited by JuanPC; 01-28-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwudel View Post
[...] Does anyone know whether Logic, or Sonar, or Cubase or any other DAW seller out there offers a REAL "perpetual" license, or is a least little more ethical about how they manage software licenses?
I don't know, but it seems (admittedly based on casual observation and not stringent testing) that Pro Tools is much more sensitive to OS changes than other apps. Even a point update to an OS can be enough to render it unstable.

It's not just operating systems, either. Pro Tools is really picky about hardware too.

The fact that other apps continue working fine even through multiple OS versions and across a broad spectrum of hardware makes me think the Pro Tools code is "fragile" and in need of work. I could be wrong, but when one considers the additional problems with which users are struggling -- licensing, App Manager, delivering promised features -- I can't help but wonder if maybe there are problems under the hood and Avid has lost control.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:29 AM

And that is why they have a supported hardware list http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements. If you make money from recording, your best bet is to stick with supported hardware and OS.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like official support for new stuff to come quicker too, but if you depend on this stuff, don't be on the bleeding edge.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM