Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Default how do i shorten my song

When i first laid the drum tracks, i did the drums all the way to the 6:30 mark…..then after i added the other instruments the song only went to 3:40, so i cut all the extra drum notes…..but when i click the "end of song" button in the transport window, the end of the song is still 6:30……i dont want there to be a big space between 3:40 and 6:30, when i bounce the song to disk…..how do i make my song end at 3:40? so there is no big space at the end?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 AM

Default Re: how do i shorten my song

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwudel View Post
When i first laid the drum tracks, i did the drums all the way to the 6:30 mark…..then after i added the other instruments the song only went to 3:40, so i cut all the extra drum notes…..but when i click the "end of song" button in the transport window, the end of the song is still 6:30……i dont want there to be a big space between 3:40 and 6:30, when i bounce the song to disk…..how do i make my song end at 3:40? so there is no big space at the end?
You can bounce just a selection. Make a selection in any track from the the start up until 3:40, and Bounce to disk.

When I want to get rid of clips at the end that I don't need, I click right after the end of the song in the Bars|Beats ruler (so all tracks are highlighted), and then hit Alt+Shift+Return. This should select everything from the cursor and out on all tracks, and then I just hit delete.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM

If it is a MIDI track just switch the track view to Regions (this will look like large blocks with the notes within the long blocks... and shorten the block (not the notes, in fact If you shorten it to where you have MIDI notes you will see the notes disappear as you shorten the region, so you could have just done this in the first place and it would both remove the notes and shorten the MIDI region, allowing the END of your session to be at the end of your MIDI region)

All you did is remove the notes... You also should remove the region....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rmJB3x0kw
Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
If it is a MIDI track just switch the track view to Regions (this will look like large blocks with the notes within the long blocks... and shorten the block (not the notes, in fact If you shorten it to where you have MIDI notes you will see the notes disappear as you shorten the region, so you could have just done this in the first place and it would both remove the notes and shorten the MIDI region, allowing the END of your session to be at the end of your MIDI region)

All you did is remove the notes... You also should remove the region....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rmJB3x0kw
Regions is now called Clips in PT10

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM

lol... Thanks Albee... What can I say Im kinda old school...
Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwudel View Post
Highlight the timeline from a couple seconds before the beginning of the song, to a couple seconds after the point where you want the bounce to end.
Pretty basic stuff, easily found in the manual.