Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 PM

Default how do i get good drum sounds in protools?

i have protools 10, with expand 2, and i also have all the drum software included in komplete 8 ultimate….how can i get drums where the snare sounds really snappy, and clear….like the drums in this video… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt3wx...e=results_main
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 PM

Default Re: how do i get good drum sounds in protools?

Xpand2? You mean you are using Boom for a drum VI? That's not great, there are *much* better drum VIs than Boom, which is more of a beatbox sequencer. EZDrummer, Superior Drummer (my preference), Slate Drums, Strike, NI Komplete, etc. Since you have Komptete 8 get going with that, it can be a bit of a beast to get running stable, but its quite capable.

Beyond that, like all things its mostly just skill and talent. Selection of the best individual drum model in the VI. Setting the right velocity its being hit with. Setting where/how its being stuck and what with (if your VI allows all those settings). Adjustment the EQ and compression plugins on the individual snare track (print that solo snare to an audio track if your software won't let you get at it easily in an isolated track). Adjusting the mic parameters in the drum VI. etc. There can be a lot to tweek. Be creative, play around, 90% is just knowing what can be changed.

Addressing generalizations or "tell me how to boil the ocean" type questions are not useful questions to get answers for here. You really need to get well started by yourself with somethign with Kompelte 8 Drums and when you are stuck or have questions on a very specific thing then ask here. Consider posting samples to Soundcloud etc. if you need help so people can understand exactly what you want help with. Start with the NI product documentation, there are handy video etc. online like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwZqLfWxS6o

Darryl
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwudel View Post
i have protools 10, with expand 2, and i also have all the drum software included in komplete 8 ultimate….how can i get drums where the snare sounds really snappy, and clear….like the drums in this video… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt3wx...e=results_main
Practice. Sounds like there is a mix of room mics, reverb and heavy gating and compression. Figure out how to get all the individual piece of your drum kit out of NI studio drummer or expand 2, which I wouldn't suggest using expand for good drum sounds, fast and easy yes but not really good. Not only is the snare boosted around 5k but it sounds like the room mics are also to accent that crack you are looking for.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM

A lot of VI plugins have mix presets that include compression and eq (and other processing) that you can tweak further. Superior Drummer and NI's Abbey Road Drums are incredible and allow a lot of flexibility to get the sound you're looking for.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM

isn't this more of an Engineering 101 question, rather than a Pro Tools question?

There have been quite a few threads lately where people are asking perfectly legit questions about beginning engineering. Perhaps there should be a heading for that so that they could be all in one place.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 AM

Good info all around - +1 for networkers idea
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Snare drum:
1. Judicious compression. I like the way the LA-3a squashes the attack on the snare drum.
2. Correct eq. First get rid of the frequencies that don't belong, THEN think about gently nudging up the ones you do want.
3. Depending on exactly what you're looking for, the correct reverb. EMT 140 plate is a favorite around here.
Drop me a line and I'll detail the gated 40hz oscillator on the kick drum trick....
Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 PM

Reverb on drums? Unless you're going for schtick value, or the old school LA slick thing, it should be a no go if you're looking for anything that sounds like a real room. As has been mentioned, it's really an engineering 101 thing.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwudel View Post
This is an extremely vague question. It's like asking why is the sky blue.

Learning to get great sounds is a process, and even the best of the best still are not satisfied.

The best advice I have is this.

When you are tracking, have the sound you want in the session. So if you want your mix to sound like a certain mix, bring in the best mix (to you) into the session and don't stop tweaking until you are close, or better.

Those drum sounds are processed heavily. You also need to study audio engineering. Make it your mission.

Merry Christmas, I hope you have a good one!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 12-24-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
This is an extremely vague question. It's like asking why is the sky blue.

Learning to get great sounds is a process, and even the best of the best still are not satisfied.

The best advice I have is this.

When you are tracking, have the sound you want in the session. So if you want your mix to sound like a certain mix, bring in the best mix (to you) into the session and don't stop tweaking until you are close, or better.

Those drum sounds are processed heavily. You also need to study audio engineering. Make it your mission.

Merry Christmas, I hope you have a good one!
You do realize he's talking about a drum VI... not tracking a live session.

Darryl