Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 10:08 AM

Default record multiple tracks in midi

Can someone please help me. I have a yamaha motif es88 keyboard hooked to my mbox and I'm using protools 6.4. When I create a midi track and play my keyboard using CONCERT GRAND, it records it. When I go to make a second track with another sound like strings, it plays the first part in strings and I lose the concert grand sound. I don't know how to assign different channels or any of that. Manual is too complicated for me. Can someone help??
Thanks,
Suzanne
Old 12-30-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Re: record multiple tracks in midi

This is the long way around, but it should work. After you get your piano midi recorded, send it back to the motif and record the audio to a stereo track. Now you can mute the piano midi track and move on to strings or whatever. The muted midi tracks will still be available if you need to fix something and re-record later. I often do it this way or if the part isn't to complex, I just record the audio and skip the midi part.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-31-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Re: record multiple tracks in midi

i think your problem is very simple. if you know how to use different tracks/channels on your motif, you are half way there. what you need to do is pay attention to the inputs and output channel settings for each track in protools. in the mixer view (ctrl + =) for each midi track you should be able to easily see what the input/output settngs are. you can turn off narrow mix window to help you see better. now set yourself up as follows:

midi track 1: input midi 1 (not midi all), output midi 1
" track 2: input midi 2, output midi 2

and so on until you have enough tracks for your proect.

Note make sure your motif is in sequencer mode and for each new sound you wish to use, put it on a new channel/track. i think the motif lets you use 16 channel/tracks in sequencer mode