Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2011, 03:32 AM

Default Going from solo bedroom DI to recording full band?

I mostly record solo tracks with programmed drums and DI preamps or impulse responses, but lately I've been wanting to upgrade equipment to be able to record full bands. I'm working with Pro Tools 10 on a MacBook Pro Dual Core, a Digidesign 003 interface, KRK Rokit 5s, and I also own a PreSonus Digimax D8 that has never even been connected.

So, let's say I have 15,000 USD to completely rebuild a practice/recording space, excluding furniture and acoustic treatment. I plan on using the Digidesign 003 until Pro Tools 11 is released, at which point I'll upgrade to whatever the replacement flagship interface will be, and want to plan this into the 15k budget. I'm not interested in third party interfaces at the moment.

I want a total of 24 preamp channels, some quality monitors, and enough mics to record a full band without having to tear down stands and mics between tracking. It would be much smoother to setup and track without interruption, IMO. I will probably want to spend more on the hardware and less on mics at the moment, which can be upgraded later. I will most likely be working with rock/metal bands, and a setup of Shure mics should get me started, and not take too much of the budget.

Mac Mini Server w/ accessories - 2k
Avid Audio 004 (or whatever) - 2k
Adam A7X Monitors - 1.5k
Control Surface - 2k
8-input Preamp - 1k
8-input Preamp - 1k
24-channel snake - 1k

2k for desk accessories, cabling, maybe some stands, etc.

That should leave 2.5k for microphones and any other accessories. I'm thinking about something basic and cheap, like Shure SM57s, SM58s, PG52, and SM81s would cover most of the ground I need for rough hard rock recordings. I want to be working with a quality control room and preamps, then upgrade mics after I've learned the basics of mic placement, tracking, etc.

What would be the most advisable route for me? I've been reading through various preamps, but the only way to really understand the differences is to buy 'em and try 'em. The control surface isn't necessary, but I strongly prefer having one. It might be worthwhile to look into the C24 since it has 16 on-board preamps and works with non-HD Pro Tools, and will continue to have Avid support after PT11. That would be over the budget, but I wouldn't need to spend anything on preamps or a control surface, so it's about 6k more. I could possibly cut some corners and make that happen, if it would be worthwhile in the end.

I'm really not sure what I should be doing. I want to plunge into the deep end, not fiddle around with "budget" gear that I could quickly outgrow. Advice, please?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Going from solo bedroom DI to recording full band?

Probably the web admin should move this to the General Discussion section Back to the question, there's lots to think about and here's my 2 cents;
Mics, a few SM57's and maybe 2 SM58's, a better kick drum mic(Audix D6)
Add a pair of Cascade Fathead II and a pair of good vocal mics(Miktek C7 and CV4) and at least a pair of LDC's for overheads. 3-4 Sennheiser 421's would be a nice addition for toms. Get good quality stands and booms(AKG, D&R, B&K) and a couple of big and heavy ones as you don't want your vocal mics hitting the floor
Mac Pro with 3-4 drives(remember, this is a business and a tax write off too)
A sub to go with the Adam(rock and metal bands want to listen LOUD)
Fucusrite Saffire LS56 with a pair of OctoPre Mk II's for 24 inputs(under $2K)
C24 is very nice and has good "wow" factor, but you can work without it
A 24 channel snake with a 12 pair and a 6 pair drop box would still be under a grand(I assume at least a vocal booth and some iso booth for guitar cabs)
just to get you thinking anyway. Remember, the best way to make a small fortune in the recording business is to............start with a large fortune :)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave