Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 AM

Thumbs down Switching to PT, simple PDC question

I am looking to switch to Protools so that I can get my hands on Hybrid and Transfuser.

I have read all about the lack of PDC in Protools LE. I didn't switch years ago because of this (though at the time Hybrid impressed me so much I almost got an Mbox2 anyway!) and I can't believe that it is 3 years later and they still haven't implemented this. But anyway on to my question...

I know that this will cause problems with plugins that cause big latency, such as the UAD-1 plugs and the Liquid Mix.

I intend to use Protools (Mbox2), Hybrid, and Transfuser. I will be using the included DigiRack plugins at first, and then probably get some third party bundles (Waves SSL) etc.

Are these plugins going to have issues with my tracks going out of sync? I hear that Protools can report your plugin latency. What are the average delays caused by plugins such as the Digirack EQ3, Dynamics3, and the Waves SSL plugs?

Thanks in advance for your replies, and I'm really sorry if this has been discussed. I've been sifting through many posts but can't find this exact info.

cheers guys, and looking forward to talking shop with you all when I get my Mbox2 tomorrow!

AR
Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Switching to PT, simple PDC question

Look into the mellowmuse pdc plugin.. Digi even recommends it for dealing with the pdc problem..
Old 12-03-2008, 12:31 PM

So are you implying that i will face this issue every single time I insert a plugin? Or will it only be necessary with some plugins?

I currently use Logic and Ableton Live so I have just taken it for granted that you don't worry about this junk.

I guess I'm a bit worried about this transition. I think that learning PT finally will be a good thing, and I'm excited about the Transfuser and Hybrid VI's.

However, I'm NOT excited about certain changes such as needing a USB hub on my MacBook just to run PT with my Axiom49... iLok, Mbox, Axiom... By comparison, with Live and Logic (with the caps keyboard), I can rock out pretty much anywhere with just my laptop and in-ears IE-30s.

I know there are pro's and cons to every software package. If any of you would like to chip in with things I should be aware of, that would be great too.

AR
Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 PM

the digirack plugins have no latency.

as far as i know, the VIs dont either.

personally for me and my workflow, PDC is a moot point. i do rock music using sampled drums and virtual amps.... the amplitubes never have more then 4 samples of delay, and the only other place i get plugin delay is on my aux verb tracks, which usually just lends to character anyway. printing the aux verbs and nudging them around produces very little difference if any.

for those of you it is a problem for, you have my sympathy.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 12-03-2008, 12:58 PM

I wasn't trying to imply anything..

I was pointing out that there is a solution for dealing with pdc that seems to work well enough that Digi recommends it..

In case you haven't gone to look it up, basically it is inserted on every track as the last insert (I think) and when ever you add or change inserted plugins, you ping the system to determine the actual, real life latency on every track. The system then delays the individual tracks by the correct amount based on the ping..

There are some details about how to use sends and busses, etc ..

Check it out..
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 PM

Hey cool thanks for the info Flommer. That is great to know if I do run into issues. Much appreciated. I guess I was just hoping that it would be pretty much a non-issue for me. :)

Thanks also barstool719. I think that I will be in much the same position as you. Most of my tracks in each song will be done entriely within Transfuser, with some vocals and Hybrid/Xpand/Structure sprinkled on top.

So I feel a bit more confident that this will work smoothly.

cheers

AR
Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Phew I thought we were going for another round of ADC/PDC on the forum!

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

Here's the link.. the video pretty much explains all there is to know..

Old 12-03-2008, 06:11 PM

Smile Re: Switching to PT, simple PDC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Replicant View Post
I know that this will cause problems with plugins that cause big latency, such as the UAD-1 plugs and the Liquid Mix.
Don't know about UAD-1 but LiquidMix 32 runs great on my Pro Tools rig. There's a trick with using Digi's own Time Adjuster well documented by Focusrite.

Couple of weeks ago I discovered Mellowmuse ATA plugin (now fully RTAS, don't need wrapper anymore) and everything is much easier and smoother in daily use. Highly recommended plugin.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 PM

Hey Denka. Thanks for the input. So do you mean that you use the Mellowmuse on your LiquidMix plug tracks, or do you find the need to use it with other plugs.

I used the LiquidMix on a project a few years ago and loved it. So sweet. Good to know it works in PT without much issue.

cheers

AR