Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Default Output Volume

Hi everybody,

I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch and Pro Tools 8le with a 4 channel interface.

While working inside of Pro Tools, my audio sounds great. However, after bouncing it, I find the output level is not as loud as a professional mp3. and when turning it up through computer speakers, it starts distorting while a professional mp3. at the same volume level won't distort. I have also noticed that each instrument level has changed after bouncing.

Someone told me that I needed to just increase the output levels, but I am not really sure how to do that!

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Chase
Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Output Volume

Any commercial release has been "mastered". That's the final polish that you are missing. You CAN do simple mastering yourself, and while I don't recommend that for anything you hope to have commercial success with, lots of us work on budget productions and just need to get volumes up. The one tool you need for that is a good mastering limiter plugin. I use Waves L2, others use Ozone or Steven Slate's mastering plugin, but on a budget, I think Massey's L2007 is the best bargain(I think its $89). You can download a free demo that will work fine, but won't save its settings.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave