Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 AM

Default 002 and 11 rack

Simple question. Can i run an 11 rack side by side with the 002 or would I have to run it into 1-2 balanced inputs on the 002. Right now that's how i run my pod pro.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 AM

Default Re: 002 and 11 rack

You cannot expand the number of outputs using an 11rack. You would need to do it the second way, plugging into a couple of inputs on the 002, same as with your line 6. The ideal way would be to use the digital spidf out of 11Rack into the spidf of 002.

However, there is a bit more flexibility. You can still have the 11rack hooked up via usb to the computer and be able to access the on screen control window for it, even while using the 002. And, I think there might be a way to switch between them while they're both hooked up in the same session. In that case I don't think you need to hook the 11rack to the 002 at all. I think you switch over to the 11rack and record your guitar (via usb) then switch back to the 002 for everything else. I may be wrong about this, so someone who's actually done it could join in here.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Thanks.

I also have a Line6 UX2 with Podfarm2 platinum.
I love my Podpro 2 but I'm pretty sure I can get "my" guitar tone or better with the UX2, but I really want to get a bit more sag. not sure if the 11 rack is the way to go.

I guess I'm not happy with my direct sound and I need a change.

Live, I run the PodPro thru a Mesa 20/20 into a stereo 2x12.

Tubes and speakers add SO much depth!

maybe a couple of sm57's are the way to go......(my wife would hate that though!!) although i can easily build an iso booth in my basement.

Just thinking out loud.

any opinions are welcome
Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 AM

ps....

I've tried connecting the UX2 with spdif without much luck (lots of crackling) at both 41 and 48k....
Old 06-25-2010, 08:39 AM

I'd try Eleven through the S/PDIF and see if it makes a difference.

I'd be interested to see how your patches could work (or be tweaked) on your eleven rack to use live and go straight into the board; you could get a good monitor to face you so you could hear exactly what's going through the PA, and you'd have the benefit of lower stage volume (while still hearing yourself) plus lugging less stuff.

Also with guitar coming through a monitor/amp in front of you, much easier to get feedback (if you want it).

Note - you will need to tweak your live vs. recording patches to back off the gain to avoid sonic mud and let you cut through the mix.

Good luck!
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 AM

If you're thinking about live playing, you might want to consider the 11rack. I've only heard good things about it. Since you already have protools software with your 002 (I assume you're on version 8), then you can buy the 11 rack, try out the hardware by itself, live, and with your protools setup without installing the software that came with the 11rack. That way if you don't like it, you shouldn't have a problem returning it because you didn't open or register the software. I've just ordered one that will be here Tuesday at that's what I'm planning to do.

If you're mainly focused on recording, you don't nessecarily need to use an 11 rack. The main problem with software amp emulations is not the software as much as the hardware your're plugging into. This can really affect the tone and that's one area where line 6 doesn't do too well. Plus most di's on the protools and other interfaces aren't great either. It mainly has to do with the impedance load with the di and your pickups. This is where the 11rack shines with it's true-z input. It matches the impedance of the real life hardware version of whatever amp or pedal simulation you've got first in the chain. You can also override that if you want, or if you're using the 11rack as a di with other amp software in protools.

One very inexpensive solution that I've been using is the Waves PRS guitar interface. It's got a 1 megaohm load on the input, and is very transparent. It functions as a di/preamp. I go from that to a line in on my 003Rack and it makes a huge difference from just using the built in di's of the 003rack. And it only costs about $90 (plus extra cable if you need it).

However, as mentioned, if you also need a solution for playing live, the 11rack might be a better all around solution.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
One very inexpensive solution that I've been using is the Waves PRS guitar interface. It's got a 1 megaohm load on the input, and is very transparent. It functions as a di/preamp. I go from that to a line in on my 003Rack and it makes a huge difference from just using the built in di's of the 003rack. And it only costs about $90 (plus extra cable if you need it).

However, as mentioned, if you also need a solution for playing live, the 11rack might be a better all around solution.
MOTU now makes a similar device, the MOTU Z-Box, for $40.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZBox/
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 PM

I'm aware of the motu product. It's a little different in that the PRS is an actual preamp for the guitar also. I haven't heard anything about the audio quality of the motu.