Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Default Jittery Video Playback

I have seen similar threads regarding this problem on other forums, but thought I would post something more specifically
related to my problem here as I'm running on an LE system.
I recently upgraded from the last generation PPC iMac G5 running PT 7 to a new Intel iMac. (27" 2.93GHz i7, 8Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5750 video card)
This computer came with OS 10.6.4 installed on it. I am running Pro Tools 8.0.4 on an Mbox2 with all the latest updates available.
The sessions and files are on a LaCie D2 Quadra 1Tb External HD.

The video playback in Pro Tools is jittery. Looks as though it is skipping frames.
It is doing this with both DV and H.264 (the only formats I currently have in sessions on hand).
Most other problems I've seen posted regarding this refer to playback on a second monitor, but in my case it is jittery when playing on the computer monitor as well.
The video files on their own play back without issue in quicktime player.
These same PT sessions and video files play fine on my older system, and on other systems running 8.0.3 and OS 10.6.3.

Has anyone had any similar experiences or got any suggestions?
I'm wondering if doing a clean install of 10.6.3 and PT 8.0.3 would fix the problem, but I'm not sure if going backwards on the system software is a good idea. I don't even know if it's compatible with an i7 machine.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Jittery Video Playback

Quote:
I'm wondering if doing a clean install of 10.6.3 and PT 8.0.3 would fix the problem
I doubt it. I have no issues with 10.6.4 and 8.0.4 on 2 different LE systems playing H.264 and DV video inside PT.

Where is the video being stored/streamed from? Internal or firewire drive? Is there a lot of audio coming from that same drive simultaneously?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM

I have tried it with the video playing from the internal drive and the audio from the external, as well as with both video and audio coming from the same external drive with no difference. There's not an excessive amount of audio being played in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Do you have a spare SATA drive that you could use for some testing? Use the restore DVDs that came with your Mac Pro and create a new boot drive and install Mac OS and PT only on it and see if you get any different results.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
Do you have a spare SATA drive that you could use for some testing? Use the restore DVDs that came with your Mac Pro and create a new boot drive and install Mac OS and PT only on it and see if you get any different results.
I'm running on a brand new iMac with one firewire 800 port. The only software I've installed on it is Pro Tools, anything else that's there would be on the install disks so, while I'm open any suggestions, I'm not exactly sure what such a test would reveal.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM

I have experienced similar issues in the past.
Is there any audio on the QT (video) file you are trying to play? I found that I needed to export separate audio and video files using QT Pro. Then import those separate files into my PT session.

Hope this is of assistance
Mac Pro 2,1 Dual Quad Core 3GHz 18 GB RAM
OSX 10.9 Maverick's
3 x 1TB SATA 1 x 250 GB SATA (Seagate)
PT 12.6.1 HD
MC MIX
RME UFX, Ferrofish A16 AE
MIDAS Venice 320
--------------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson
Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440Hz View Post
Is there any audio on the QT (video) file you are trying to play? I found that I needed to export separate audio and video files using QT Pro. Then import those separate files into my PT session.

There is currently both video and audio tracks in the QT files. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440Hz View Post

No luck with that unfortunately. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Should anyone else find themselves in a similar situation, I have traced the problem to a faulty mini display port adapter. Once that was removed, the jittery playback problem was corrected.