Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 03:13 AM

Default HDX Card in Mac Pro 7,1 not installing

Hi All,

I’m transplanting my HDX card into a Mac Pro 7,1 and running into a problem.

The HDX card spins up to full fan speed immediately on startup, but seems invisible to the OS. The slot utility shows nothing at all (I’ve tried slots 5 & 6), and Digitest just comes up with ? Unknown ? in the drop-down menu. I had bought the Belkin adaptor kit, but turned out not to need it, as the power cable I have still fits. It must be getting some power, as the fan is full-on, but in peering down the end I can’t see any lights on the card itself (should there be? It’s been so long I don’t even remember).

Needless to say, I’ve installed the HD drivers, including un/re-installing with SIP off. I tried taking out all other PCI cards (UAD Octo & OWC 4m2), but it didn’t make a difference. Reset PRAM and SMC. Watched out especially for any alert from the Security System Prefs panel - nothing there (incidentally, the installer asks to quit all other running apps, but I presume it’s ok to re-open System Prefs during the install. Otherwise how would you see any prompt?). Tried the sudo kextload thing mentioned in one of the read me files.

It feels like it's maybe not getting (enough?) power, but tbh I’m stuck. Has anybody else experienced this, or can shed any light?

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 2.13.25 PM.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
Old 03-20-2021, 04:25 PM

Default Re: HDX Card in Mac Pro 7,1 not installing

Had a an issue with MP7.1 not seeing HDX HW.

Uninstalled driver, downloaded again then made sure MP Security stopped blocking installing driver.

Does the PCIe utility see a card in the installed slot?
Old 03-21-2021, 12:17 PM

The HD Driver is getting blocked.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:02 AM

Slot Utility shows nothing at all (I've tried slots 5&6). I've tried un/re-installing the HD driver, including with SIP off. I replaced the power cable - still nothing. AT this point I'm asking around near me if anyone has a MP I can try the card in just to see if it shows up. No luck so far.
Btw, I called the local Avid repair center. Apparently they don't even attempt repair, but just send them back to Avid, who replace them. For a thousand quid.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:39 AM

Slot utility shows nothing at all (I've tried slots 5&6). I've un/re-installed the drivers several times now, including with system protection off. There has been no notification in the Security Prefs panel. kextstat shows DigiDal loaded (to the extent that I can tell, not being a Terminal mave)

Strongly suspect a duff card this point. I called the local Avid repair centre, and they don't even attempt to repair. Just ship them to Avid, who replace them. For a thousand quid