Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Best platform for working with MIDI...Pro Tools?

I'm doing more and more MIDI work. I'm currently using a G4, OS9, Digi001, rel 5.something and Mach5. I'm seeing some limitations in the MIDI work with this configuration.

I'm looking to upgrade to a G5, OSX, etc. and was wanting to get some feedback about what to buy to have the best MIDI environment. Pro Tools Digi002? DP? I'm also, looking at the Vienna Project giga-studio to through into the tool bag.

I also do a lot of acoustic guitar/mandolin recording.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Best platform for working with MIDI...Pro Tools?

Both DP and Logic have a more midi-oriented approach to recording than Protools.

Even given the above, PTLE 7 has come a LONG way since v5.x in improving the midi features. It's easier to use virtual instruments now - in some cases even easier than Logic as you don't have to string objects together in it's "environment" if you want multiple outputs for Stylus or one of the Kontakt modules.

It also now has realtime midi features so you can advance or delay the whole midi track (or region) as well as adjust other parameters in real time.

PT even automatically loads Reason when you load the song file if you've configured Reason through rewire. It was a pain to use Reason (or Rewire at all) in v5 and it wasn't stable at all. DP still forces you to load Reason separately (don't know about Logic). The new instrument tracks in PT make a lot of difference in setting up midi instruments quickly.

With Beat Detective, you can grab grooves from loops or live parts and apply them to midi tracks. You can now also use REX and ACID files in PT with the "tick-based" tracks.

DP has a dedicated window for editing midi and for programming drum beats, neither of which PT has, but with instant zoom levels available, it's not that big of a deal to see your PT midi zoomed up - and it's actually easier to see the velocity information in PT than in DP. Logic makes you use a separate editor just for editing velocity information.

Try recording a vocalist who requires multiple punch-ins with changing pre-roll amounts in DP or Logic and you'll see why PT is still the best thing for recording live audio.

With audio, there's still nothing out there (IMHO) that can compete with the speed of PT for recording and editing audio, so if audio is still a big part of your sessions, I'd suggest staying with PT.

I haven't used either with Giga, but it should be just like using an external synth with it's own audio output: you'd set up the midi tracks and assign them to one or more midi ports. I don't know if the Mac Audio/Midi setup recognizes GigaStudio ports by default (I doubt it), but you'd only have to set it up one time in the PT i/o settings. You could even set up a session template for your Giga sessions.

To get the Giga audio into PT, I'd suggest getting a Giga-approved interface with an ADAT output, so you can run it digitally into your 002. Otherwise, you can premix the Giga output on an external mixer before recording it into PT.

I've also been using the EWQLSO module in PTLE 7 with no problems - although I only have the Silver edition at this point. I really didn't want to add the noise of another computer, or the expense of purchasing Gigastudio and another computer.

Just my $.02...

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:53 PM

If you like to be able to actually see the notes that you're playing - you'll have to use DP, Logic, or Cubase, which have notation view (and edit) , amongst other basic midi functions.

Hint hint...

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 01-30-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
DP has a dedicated window for editing midi and for programming drum beats, neither of which PT has
So what do you call the midi event list?

it's as dedicated a midi editor as any MPC...still a staple for programmers.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:00 PM

I recomend a combination of PTLE and Logic express. Gives me all the midimuscle and scoring funcitnos I need in logic, and then bounce the work to protools to add audio recordings and mix. Works great for me.
MacBook Pro i7/Apogee One/Duet/ElevenR/Pro Tools 12
Preamps from UA, Mackie and Avid.
Listening through Dynaudio, Genelec and ADAM
Old 01-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Best platform for working with MIDI...Pro Tool

Quote:
I recomend a combination of PTLE and Logic express. Gives me all the midimuscle and scoring funcitnos I need in logic, and then bounce the work to protools to add audio recordings and mix. Works great for me.
Good call Snarf. I got Logic during an extensive discussion about PT's shortcomings and the threats people were making to switch to Logic, just to see what the fuss was about. I kept it and it has some good features like scoring and MIDI events etc (it should have, it was birthed as C-lab Creator/Notator on the Atari - remember that guys?) However I can't for the life of me see why people use it for audio and trying to use one virtual instrument on several MIDI channels is like trying to figure out string theory.

But the combo of the 2 right now to make up the differences is a good compromise.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
So what do you call the midi event list?

it's as dedicated a midi editor as any MPC...still a staple for programmers.
Ah yes...and command-line entry is still a viable method of getting around WinXP, too.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.