Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 06:41 PM

Default computer predicted Norah Jones success

Music-Biz-Big-Boy's want it! Check-it out! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_759785.html
Old 03-12-2003, 07:22 PM

Default Re: computer predicted Norah Jones success

That's disgusting. If it works, the next step is letting the computer just create (write) all possible combinations of hits, and then just get a pretty face to sing it.

On the bright side, maybe the labels will rush to get out all of those "perfect hits". Perhaps they'd be used up within a year, and they'll have to look for something different again.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:31 PM

I thought there would be more replies to this. It is a freakin' computer giving you the LOW_Down...I may just cancel my desires to go into a buisness recording music. THANKS ALL [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 10:39 PM

Well, that's a total waste of money. Seeing as how Clear Channel and the majors already dictate what the public should like and buy, why would they need a computer's help?

Also, my deaf dog predicted Norah would be successful, didn't take a brain surgeon to see that one coming.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:49 PM

Aaaaaa JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA !!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

AMAZING !!!

I want one of those right now... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I thought once you're so deep you can't go deeper... i was wrong !

Al.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:30 AM

If we judge success by sales and in this culture, unfortunately we do, then I would like to ask this computer some questions?

1 - Did it expect Radiohead's Kid A to debut at #1?

2 - Did it expect Tom Wait's "Mule Variations" to sell over a million copies.

3 - Was the "oh brother where art thou?" soundtrack predicted to sell many millions.

I personally find Norah Jones to be a bland rehashing of stuff i heard in the '70s. She certainly is talented in some areas, has a musical legend for a father, and definitely looks the part, but those songs are nothing groundbreaking IMHO. Maybe better than the rest of what is on the radio, but that isn't saying much. It doesn't surprise me a computer can predict the success of unorignal music that is rehashing past trends. When the computers start being able to say, "hey, that is new and different, and I like it!", then I'm impressed. And scared.

I'm sure Mr. Gates is working on it.

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 03-13-2003, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I personally find Norah Jones to be a bland rehashing of stuff i heard in the '70s. She certainly is talented in some areas, has a musical legend for a father, and definitely looks the part, but those songs are nothing groundbreaking IMHO. Maybe better than the rest of what is on the radio, but that isn't saying much. It doesn't surprise me a computer can predict the success of unorignal music that is rehashing past trends. When the computers start being able to say, "hey, that is new and different, and I like it!", then I'm impressed. And scared.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I totally agree, MTV is to blame for the state of music too.

Exclude anything based on the blues scale, no matter if it's a jangly guitar band that could have been derivative in any of the past 5 decades, or a pianist (with or without good looks) singing ballads about the same old subjects and I'm sure the computer will soon get confused.

could it predict aphex twin ?

what about some of the more harsh NIN hits ?

would it even notice the influence that electronic music has had on modern pop music ?

what about hip hop ?

I doubt it. It proves a point that people spewing the same tried and tested stuff decade after decade is what's making almost all commercial music stale and predictable. A computer proving it is just too funny.

If this offends anyone, tough, get back to trying to sound like the beatles or whatever [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2003, 08:06 AM

"Each song is run through a set of signal filters that identify and measure more than a dozen musical patterns, including melody, harmonic variation, beat, tempo, rhythm, pitch, chord progression and fullness of sound.

The program's designers found that in the past five years of Billboard magazine's Top 30 chart listings, hits were concentrated into a number of small clusters sharing similar traits."

Hmm.these are all things any muscian could tell them from looking at the music, or listening, to the CD.. Why not hire some muscians for the same result.?

"Polyphonic HMI's chief executive Mike McCready said: "There are a limited number of mathematical formulas for hit songs. We don't know why."

I think we do
Old 03-13-2003, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Notefarm:

I think we do
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you bet we do! in the imortal words...

"They call it ridin the gravy train"
Old 03-13-2003, 02:25 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Quote:
Originally posted by Notefarm:
...the program's designers found that in the past five years of Billboard magazine's Top 30 chart listings, hits were concentrated into a number of small clusters sharing similar traits."

Hmm.these are all things any muscian could tell them from looking at the music, or listening, to the CD.. Why not hire some muscians for the same result.?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That was funny as hell... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]