Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 05:17 PM

Default Upgrading Pro Tools 12 Edu with no support plan

I am at the end of my 4 years of free Edu upgrades and have 12.1 in my account without a support plan. Will the $99 upgrade work on a Pro Tools 12 Edu license without a support plan? If not, how do I get a support plan so the license doesn't freeze come Jan 1st? Wish things were spelled out better in the store and Web site in general.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Upgrading Pro Tools 12 Edu with no support plan

Anyone?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Hey Onbeat

I will escalate this to Avid for an answer and will post back when I have something for you

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-28-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey Onbeat

I will escalate this to Avid for an answer and will post back when I have something for you

Thank you!
Old 09-28-2015, 02:52 PM

In the past, you have had to buy a new version to get up to date. The discount was just for the years you were eligible for the education discount.

I hope that has changed for you.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onbeat View Post
Thank you!
Hey

Got word back that the $99 Pro Tools Annual Upgrade Plan will work with EDU license so i hope that helps

http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDe...%23DYNAPA20003

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey

Got word back that the $99 Pro Tools Annual Upgrade Plan will work with EDU license so i hope that helps

http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDe...%23DYNAPA20003

That's great! Thanks for your help.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onbeat View Post
That's great! Thanks for your help.
Glad to help

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-09-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
In the past, you have had to buy a new version to get up to date. The discount was just for the years you were eligible for the education discount.

I hope that has changed for you.
Actually, to be clear .... in the past, you could always upgrade a student license to a standard license by buying a standard upgrade, whether or not you were entitled to a student discount or not.

You never had to buy a completely new license of Pro Tools.

Also, in case you have just finished your studies, take note that Avid regards you as eligible for student pricing if ....
a) you are currently a student,
or
b) you were a student and your studies finished no longer than six months ago.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-10-2015, 04:28 PM

Some important GOOD news, well I think it is anyway ....

For anyone in the following circumstances ...

1) You bought a student license of Pro Tools with four years of free upgrades,
2) You've had the free upgrade to Pro Tools 12,
3) You didn't get a support plan with it, you just got the license,
4) The four years has not expired yet,
5) The four years is not over until AFTER the deadline for buying a support plan by the end of 2015.

I have had an active support case on the go with Avid, questioning the paradox that my four years free upgrade entitlement was not up until September 2016, but the new licensing regime demanded I buy a support plan by the end of 2015.

This has now been resolved in my favour with Avid upgrading for free my 10/11/12 student license bundle for a 10/11/12/2016 license bundle with an active upgrade and support plan.

I have been advised by my contact at Avid Customer Care that individual cases will be dealt with on their merits and that anyone in a similar position should start a support case explaining the situation.

In theory, the last person to be entitled to the four years of free upgrades deal would be someone lucky enough to have activated it on the morning of, but before, the Pro Tools 11 announcement, meaning their four years might not be up until early April 2017.

One issue that came to light in dealing with my case is that it is simply not possible to set the end date of a support plan to be more than a year from the date it is activated. So if you still have more than a year left before your four years runs out, Avid CC can't extend the end date of the support plan to match the end date of your four years.

You could wait until there is just under a year left, and then start a support case. But you might be better starting a support case now, while my case is still fresh. Trouble is, if you do that, the most Avid CC will be able to do is give you an upgrade and support plan that runs out a year from now.

It's your choice regarding when to start a support case, but at least there is a solution available now.

This solution also resolves the problem that because people with a free student upgrade PT12 license did not get a support plan, their Avid accounts have not been provided with links to 11.3.2 and 12.2.1 installers.

Finally, the upgrade and support plan I've been given DOES include the Eleven snd Space plugins, and the 16x Eleven Stomp Box FX. Some more good news for anyone that doesn't have them via another route.

Hope all this is of use to some people.

Update .... The above information regarding bonus plugins is incorrect. Due to some glitch in the matrix, the installer download links do appear in my Avid Account, but, actually, the license bundle does not unlock them.

Avid Customer Care has confirmed to me this morning that the free upgrade and support plan provided to me as described above DOES NOT include the bonus plugin bundle.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)

Last edited by nigelpry; 10-12-2015 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Update .... actually does not include bonus plugins