Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2014, 08:56 PM

Default Using main analog outputs to master a recording

I have been using the 1/4" monitor outputs to powered monitors & bouncing sessions to my computer via fire wire. Now I would like to use the main analog outputs (or alt main outs)(or optical out) to master recordings on a Sony CDR-w33 CD recorder. The problem I'm having is I'm not getting any signal from either output. (no luck w/optical out either) Am I forgetting to turn something on to route the signal to these outputs. I have checked the user's guide and have not found any info on this. From what I've read it (the manual) assumes there is a -10 db line level signal coming from the output, there is not. How do I make this (any of these) output(s) active? Thanks in advance-Billy Bacon.
PS. the only active signal I'm getting(from the digirack) is from the monitor out & The headphones.

Last edited by Billy Bacon; 09-28-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Using main analog outputs to master a recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bacon View Post
I have been using the 1/4" monitor outputs to powered monitors & bouncing sessions to my computer via fire wire. Now I would like to use the main analog outputs (or alt main outs)(or optical out) to master recordings on a Sony CDR-w33 CD recorder. The problem I'm having is I'm not getting any signal from either output. (no luck w/optical out either) Am I forgetting to turn something on to route the signal to these outputs. I have checked the user's guide and have not found any info on this. From what I've read it (the manual) assumes there is a -10 db line level signal coming from the output, there is not. How do I make this (any of these) output(s) active? Thanks in advance-Billy Bacon.
PS. the only active signal I'm getting(from the digirack) is from the monitor out & The headphones.
What is your interface? Assuming it has a SPDIF output(and the Sony has a SPDIF input), I would use that connection(likely, the Sony will need to be set to use the SPDIF input) and the session sample rate will probably NEED to match the setting on the Sony. Having said that, you may be making this harder than it needs to be(and you might have left out a great many details that matter)

Exactly how are you "mastering". If its all with plugins, then the Sony is not required at all. Beyond that, mastering in Pro Tools isn't an efficient way to work. Sure, it CAN be done, but there are some other programs(for ITB mastering) that will work better, give you more options, more analysis tools, and allow for audio CD burning on the computer(Wavelab is my tool of choice for this, but Sound Forge, Sonic Foundry and CD Architect are options(there are likely others too, like SADIE).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-28-2014, 07:02 PM

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your feedback. I'm using a digibox 002. Up until recently I never had occasion to use the main outputs on the interface. I usually did a mix then gave it to someone else to master. The reason I want to use the Sony is that I used it for one song and was pleased with the results I got. It has a basic limiter & EQ that sound good. In this case I used the monitor output because it was the only output that had any signal coming out of it. I prefer using using the analog inputs over the optical (SPDIF) on the Sony because it has balance control (L/R) in case a mix is slightly louder in one channel in some spots. I have sonic on my computer but could only use it to make MP3's for some reason. I have a dozen or so songs I want to master onto one disc for pressing the problem is they were all recorded at different times in different studios so I want them to sound cohesive (like an album) same levels, general tone etc. I can't get any signal out of any of the outputs except for "monitor out" (& the headphone jack). It's got to be something simple but I don't know what, otherwise the interface has a problem in the output section. If that's the case then it was defective out of the box because I have never been able to get a signal from these outputs. In the mix window, on the I/O tab if I assign any path other than "1-2 stereo" there is no output (the meters stop jumping)
Old 10-01-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bacon View Post
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your feedback. I'm using a digibox 002. Up until recently I never had occasion to use the main outputs on the interface. I usually did a mix then gave it to someone else to master. The reason I want to use the Sony is that I used it for one song and was pleased with the results I got. It has a basic limiter & EQ that sound good.
You'd be better off mastering the project using a eq and limiter in your daw and then a program life Hofa to assemble the master redbook cd or ddp. Using the cd recorder with it's built in eq and limiter like you want is going to pass your audio unbalanced through an extra round of conversion into the Sony and then not give you the preciseness needed to assemble the final cd unless you import the tracks back into the computer. gl

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com