Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Default MBox 3 pro: Heavily distorted outputs, LONG powerup time.

Hey guys and gals,

I've got what I hope is a simple-to-fix issue but that is totally crippling right at the moment.

After a couple of months of no use, I got my mbox 3 pro set up in my home studio. The first sign of trouble was when it took ~20 seconds to show any kind of flashing lights. I'm used to it taking ~5 seconds to show lights.

The main issue, though I expect they're related, is that the outputs are heavily distorted. I've tried running signal through each of them and it's all the same. What's interesting is that though it sounds like distortion I can hear the audio I'm playing through it clearly, so it's just that there's an overlay of distorted signal.

Another curious thing is that after playing this weird distorted signal through the monitors they keep playing that distorted signal even after I have shut off the music. This continues until I switch off the mbox, at which point the distorted signal stops, which makes me pretty confident that the issue is not with the monitors, which are brand new.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm using the right power adaptor, though is labeled as having the correct power output. Could this be the issue? I've had somewhat spotty behavior from one of my power strips, I don't think there's an issue with the one currently powering the mbox but could the above issues realistically be caused by something like that?

It's probably worth mentioning that I have had this box for around 8 months, and though there have been occasional hiccups here and there, it's behaved well for the most part.

So, any thoughts would be REALLY helpful!

Thanks in advance,

Leo.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Default Re: MBox 3 pro: Heavily distorted outputs, LONG powerup time.

Hello, llanlinger.

I have an MBOX 3 with a similar problem, but backwards.

I mean, first it was the distorted entry in each channel, after I trie dto record using 2 condenser mics with the 48V of the MBOX ON. Then, the noise was off. What I did was changing the usb, even changing it from port and location. But after that, yes, distortion and noise is gone, but I have the lights show and the MBOX is not recognized anymore.

Best luck

Giancarlo