Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2011, 04:15 PM

Default MIDI and Digi 003 hate each other

new problem... midi is working through the MOTU fast lane usb...
I record one midi track say Mini Grand piano VI.. it records and plays back fine...
then i go to record a 2nd midi track say strings with Expand 2 VI ... i record enable the track then when i push the record button on my digi 003 it triggers a sound on the virtual inst
i want to record on the 2nd track and it is just this sustained note that only stops when I un-arm the 2nd midi track.... ?????? anyone had this happen to them??????
its like the console is in midi mode but i never put it in that mode... and you can touch a fader or any button and it triggers sounds.... ????...... WTF????

Win7 on an Intel I7-870 8 gigs of ram Pro Tools 9 (9.0.2) and the latest drivers
Old 07-09-2023, 02:09 AM

Default Re: MIDI and Digi 003 hate each other

Did you ever find a solution to this?
Old 07-09-2023, 08:10 AM

Default Re: MIDI and Digi 003 hate each other

Here are some thoughts from someone that has used the 003 with a fair amount of midi(on Windows):
#1-if the 003 buttons are triggering notes(which happened to me) then you should try another driver. In Device Manager, click on the firewire controller and update the driver. Then(I may not have the correct steps here as its been many years), don't choose the "automatic" option, and then select "Let me choose from a list". There should be 3 drivers available, so try either or both of the ones you are not currently using. FWIW, Avid recommends the "Legacy" driver, but the one that worked for me was the "TI Compliant" driver.

#2-there is a lot to learn with midi, so this may seem confusing(and it is), but if you set each instrument track to use its own midi channel, things work independently. It may also help to go into Midi Studio and fuss with things, BUT this is only if you have multiple controllers. In my setup, I had a Motif es8 and an old Ensoniq keyboard going in via a MOTU FastLane USB 2x2 and a Roland TD10 kit going in via the 003 midi input. I was able to record 3 separate Instrument tracks at the same time by setting the Motif to all midi channels EXCEPT 1 and 10. The Ensoniq was on channel 1(I couldn't figure out how to change that on the keyboard) and the Roland used midi channel 10(which is the "usual" for drums and percussion).

Hope this helps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave