Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 AM

Default Live backing track errors with mbox 2 pro

So i've been using the mbox 2 pro with a macbook pro with snow leopard and pro tools 7.4 for live backing tracks for my band. i have a session set up with about 8 stereo audio tracks running for 8 different songs all tempo mapped with markers. im also using a vst plug-in that controls a dmx lighting rig through midi notes inside the session as well. all of which are running off of lacie 500 gb firewire 800 external. when i run this whole rig by itself without the band practicing/performing it works great! no errors. once we actually play all together, without fail, it errors out.

i read the compatibility charts and it looks like 7.4 is not supposed to work with snow leopard (though it does in a normal setting) and i saw the whole firewire 400 vs 800 problem so i still need to try the solution recommended, but i also read in a post that loud speakers that could cause a heavy vibration might be making the hard drive skip. which sort of makes sense since it happens when we play. has anyone had any experience with skipping or really anything i've mentioned? any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Live backing track errors with mbox 2 pro

Since you run a Mac, you might want to post in the Mac/LE section of the DUC. In any case, I was thinking about the vibration issue before you got to it in your post. There's also the power to consider(the AC voltage might get dragged down when the entire band kicks in and draws more current. The laptop probably doesn't care so much, but the drive might(maybe a voltage stabilizer would help, but they are a bit pricey). Try setting the laptop and drive on a chunk of foam(a road case lid?) or better yet, some gel pads(mouse wrist pads or turntable isolators.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Live backing track errors with mbox 2 pro

oh oops, at 3am i guess i missed the windows part of the section haha. ya i was thinking maybe i needed a UPS for everything im plugging in, ie; mac, mbox, lighting rig. will definitely get some foam and/or gel to encase the drive and cushion the laptop. thanks.