Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2002, 04:08 AM

Default See The New Pro Tools RIGHT HERE!

Just kidding. Don't you hate that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well it peaked your interest.

I'm one of the few who fell asleep while all that illegal stuff was going on, and I never got to see any of those new pictures.

It got me thinking though. What would the new Pro Tools have to be able to do (features wise) to get me to upgrade?

Lets assume that there is no considerable upgrade package and that the New Pro Tools is about the same price as the current Mix systems.

When would you upgrade?
Old 01-03-2002, 05:54 AM

Default Re: See The New Pro Tools RIGHT HERE!

Instance Plug ins, sends, new tracks, all on the fly

Higher track count

painless operation at 44.1 with my Aopogee converters

"next generation" sound quality jump due to upgraded internal digital "math of the path" and plug in design that can and does make full use of it.

Plug in delay compenstion for plug ins with a fixed delay - no more time adjuster.

Continues to work with my ProControl.

Fair upgrade offers

------------------------------

If all that gets done I will upgrade my 2 Mix + rigs for sure.. Standing by!

I may travel to Munich spring Euro AES 2002 if thats where I can get to see it all first.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-03-2002, 07:00 AM

if i were running my own studio and billing clients for work, i could agree 100% with jules (as usual of course .

but, since i'm at a studio where we're working almost 100% on only the animation we do for ourselves, i have to justify major upgrades, refittings, etc, to a line up of higher-ups who are watching all the pennies. so, my question becomes, "what will it take for you to get APPROVAL to upgrade all your systems." and here's my list:

- higher track count (this lets me give the directors more options till later in the mix)

- compatibility at any level with older system (so i can still use my old rigs to pre-mix, edit, etc -- obviously this might be at a lower sample rate or something, but i want the option)

- frankly, the math-of-the-path would need to be able to make an audible difference to the audience for me to include that - and if it gives me more clarity and power and whatever, then that would be the case. if its the esoteric minutiae that i listen for, no one else will sign the bottom line

- plugin delay compensation would be included because it would speed effeciency

- ideally, improvements in the pci/bandwidth issues, since that would relieve my constant requests to out i.t. department for system tweaks.

and really it would have to be most of those items -- PLUS all the little things like on-the-fly instantiation, apogee compatibility, etc that i want for me, too -- for me to justify making the jump.

here's hoping for a nice upgrade path!

don't feel alone, produceher - i also came back from my christmas solstice reading only the juicy aftermath and missed all the leaky fun!

happy new year to all!

=a=
Old 01-03-2002, 08:04 AM

anyone ever thaught about that some institutions who call themselves " companies " have to release new products in fact of the market&money . i am cool with your view that digi invents something " new " anyone needs to have . and i am cool with that all the older stuff is getting payable now . [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but on the other hand i bet it will not be the " holy " system yall are looking for . a company has to stick to their roots , nobody expects from nike building cars . but maybe we all get surprised ... i am still pesimistic [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
but if we all really want to kow , lets hire a spy and share his rates . maybe james bond [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
only thing i am pretty sure about , the new PT 6.0 and its hardware will be hell expensive at release . thats why it has to be good .
digi rules [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] !!!
if anyone cant sleep in fact of the thaught hes losing to much money if he aint selling his stoneage mix system right now , i am willing to invest some bucks [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2002, 09:44 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>but, since i'm at a studio where we're working almost 100% on only the animation we do for ourselves, i have to justify major upgrades, refittings, etc, to a line up of higher-ups who are watching all the pennies. so, my question becomes, "what will it take for you to get APPROVAL to upgrade all your systems." and here's my list:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Several other points to consider, however, are:

If you jump on the new hardware/software bandwagon early, you have a comparatively longer window of time where your equipment is state-of-the-art (i.e. you're better off than if you had bought PT|24 a couple of weeks ago).

I don't know if it will be the case this time, but historically, some of Digidesign's best upgrade offers have only been valid for a few months after the new product was released.

Another motivating factor could be a move to OS X. Will the new product only be OS X compatible? Also, will the older hardware ever be compatible with OS X? I could be wrong, but I could imagine PT|24 and older equipment frozen at OS 9.x, with the new equipment introduced with OS X compatibility only. This would certainly save Digidesign a lot of development money, and allow them to sell the new software at a better price.

Regardless, the current PT hardware will certainly drop off the map support-wise in a few years.

Especially if you're committed to PT software, it will probably make sense to upgrade early (or at least as soon as everything appears stable).

Digidesign is a mature company now, so I fully expect any new products to come out of the gate ready to roll.

Lee Blaske
Old 01-03-2002, 10:31 AM

the osX support would be a major issue for sure - that alone might be enough to convince my support guys - of course, they're waiting for a few upgrades to osX till they're happy with it.

thanks lee and everyone else!

=a=
Old 01-03-2002, 02:09 PM

Isn't it too early for Pro Tools to make a new line of products based on Mac OSX?

I don't see why the current mix systems couldn't take advantage of MacOSX.

Even though I can afford a whole new system. I'm not buying one if the only improvements are:

1. 96kHz - 384kHz sampling rates.
2. Automatic delay compensation
3. Fair upgrade offers
4. Instantiate Plugins on the fly
5. OSX support

Pro Tools Version 5.0 had more improvements than this.

I'd like to see them make hardware boxes that allow more inputs than just 16 per card.

Make DSP cards that are 4-5 times as powerful as the mix systems.

I want Digidesign to include things beyond what we've already been working around.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:02 PM

So when do you think we'll have this information. What is the expected release date, oh! what year?
My problem is that I have only had my Mix3 system for 5 months and with this new system coming I think I'll be losing big time in resale value.
I hope the trade-in will make the change to the new system worth while.

Nick
Old 01-03-2002, 04:16 PM

When I see all the problem links to PCI bandwith, scsi cards, I have some difficulties to imagine running 64 tracks on 96 or 192khz at the present.

Major plugs are eating 1 DSP at 16/44. At 96 or 192, I can imagine an ampfarm taking 2 or 3 dsp of a mix card.

Well, concerning control surfaces, the control 24 is just one and half year old. Be incompatible will be a critical point, not to talk about thousands procontrol users.

Let me also say that dsp card like creamware, tc powercore or UAD have dsp power and an average cost of 1000$. Protools is far from all other application, but the same old dsp's on a mix3 are about 10 times the price.

I saw pro composer this year leave the tdm world, sell their protools for going native, especially with logic. Post prod facilities will never run native for the moment, but you can now find some new alternatives (nuendo, that I don't like at all) on recent studios with digital consoles.

Digi is on the road but I remark that the users are kind of perplex, in a context of hard business. A 20 to 50 k gear seems kind of hard to my view in today market.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:50 AM

Hay,

Good shot Produceher! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> I'm one of the few who fell asleep while all that illegal stuff was going on, and I never got to see any of those new pictures. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you didn't miss a big thing: they looked like a 001 interface seen after a nice evening spend in Amsterdam: a verry cluttered front-interface. Even on the pdf it was nearly impossible to read what and why all those leds were for, so leave alone from the other side of a control room.. An other thing which made me doubt about these files was that why would Digi make a usb midi interface?
The "new" USD had feature which the recent USD still hasn't: support of 9-pin on it's back connector. I think these files were just wishfull thinking of a Photoshop-amateur, who just happened to have been smoking to much (excelent) Dutch grass...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> It got me thinking though. What would the new Pro Tools have to be able to do (features wise) to get me to upgrade? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there's no escape here: it'll be the OS-X compat, since Sys 9.x will be dead sooner then we wish.. And like Bill G., all these guys want to make sure to maintain their direct link to your money-pocket, so they "upgrade" every so-much time their sys'es and toys, so that you MUST upgrade every X years or so to stay up to date. Don't worry: they'll decide when you'll HAVE to upgrade!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> When would you upgrade? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When these rigs run @ 192K, and PT v 6.1.1 for OS-X will be out..

Greetings to all,

Huby