Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Solo in control room affects headphones mix..

Greetings,
After using a d8b for 7 years, I have now stepped up and bought a NEW Control 24. It seems great although I have to get used to a linear mixing style compared to the d8b.
MY QUESTION: When I solo a track in my control room, it solo's in the studio headphone mix. I need to be able to solo in the control room WITHOUT altering the headphone mix. Does anyone have hints/ideas. Right now I come out of the Control 24 Aux outs into my headphone amp. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

- Jj Cichon
www.lifeguardmusic.com
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Avid

Default Re: Solo in control room affects headphones mix..

If you are using Pro Tools HD you can use the AFL/PFL Solo Bus feature. This feature dedicates a set of outputs for anything you solo, leaving other outputs (like headphone cues) untouched. Check out the user manual on how to setup AFL.

On Control 24 make sure you are in the "Multi input" mode for the monitor section (Utility>Monitor>Multi) as opposed to Single Input Mode. Multi Input mode lets you monitor multiple sources at once. Take your a set of outputs (like 3-4) and specify them as the AFL solo bus (in the I/O Setup output tab), then make sure you tell Pro Tools to Mute the Main out (Typically 1-2). Next engage AFL from the Options>Solo Mode Pull down options.

I Personally use AFL as a part of my session setup so i don't have to set it up every time... also it's great for mixing because you can solo just a reverb bus (without having to solo all of the source tracks)...

If you are using AFL/PFL solo with an ICON there is a dedicated AFL/PFL Solo bus and gain knob on X-Mon.. If you are using a new C|24 you can use either one of the dedicated Stereo inputs or use 2 channels from your Line submixer.

Hope this helps
-lev
Old 12-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Hi Lev.. & THANKS for the reply
Unfortunately, I am not running HD. I am running an 002r with LE, music production tool kit. Is there any way of making this happen? I have heard of some users using an external mixer to avoid latency all together? How would this be set up to work? Thanks, hope I can get this help.

- Jj
www.lifeguardmusic.com
Old 12-28-2007, 02:30 AM

what I do is to create an aux send that I send to the headphone mix. I than make sure the send is in SAFE mode (next button to the PRE button) so I can solo the control rooms without affecting the phone-mix that is send to the headphones output "make sure that the phoneoutput track is also in "safe" mode (control+press on "S"-solo button on the mixer).

This way you can also create different headphone mix that difference from the control room mix

just my 2 cents

Philippe Meiresonne

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|2x PRE |2x Audient PRE 880| 1x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Avid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue | Avid MTRX Studio + Thunderbolt 3 Interface
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE

System 3 : Dolby Atmos Renderer Running Sonoma 14.4
MacMini M2 Pro |16 GB RAM | Avid MTRX Studio (Thunderbolt3)