Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-1999, 09:51 AM

Default WORLD WAR 3

I Know the title of this thread is kind of alarming,but im pretty sure this thread is going to end up close to the title, anyway I
need to buy interfaces for my mix-plus system
which i was previously using adats with an adat bridge for my inputs,but now after digi's very convincing campaign of no tape,ive sold the adats,which leaves me inputless, Im looking for the best advice i can get(preferably from Digi),what should I do for interfaces,I want a minimum of 24 inputs going at one time. Should i get an 888/24 and pray that the 1622 comes out sometime in the next year,or should i get the 888/24 and use the adat bridge with two of the 3rd party analog to adat converters,which brings me to an important question,if i go route "B",I will only be 20 bit because the adat bridge is 20 bit and the 3rd party converter is 24 bit, is there a 24 bit upgrade to the adat bridge anywhere in sight?, or should i buy a digi 001 for 24 bit input and invest the other money i was going to spend in the stock market, also digi
if you can make the 001 work with mix -plus ,you wont have to upgrade your adat bridge, cause every ownwer like myself will buy two "001" sytems ,cause i do believe the light pipe on this ,"is 24 bit", I hope I didnt just start another "bit" fight,but i can bet when i read this thread again a certain disgruntled ex-salesman from new york who roams these threads looking for stuff to complain about,will have twisted my intentions of getting advice into something Else.
Old 12-14-1999, 10:19 AM

Default Re: WORLD WAR 3

If you make a living at this, you should set your sights on getting apogees.

There is no comparison.

If you're on a budget, does it really matter whether you're 20 bit or 24 bit? Just use what works.

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 12-14-1999, 11:39 AM

apogees are way out of the budget for now,i just liquidated a $200k analog studio and invested in real estate,im trying to get the most cost effective way,PS ive just learned that the alesis AI3 analog to adat converter is "24" bit,it cost around $399,but the bridge still leaves me at 20 bit
Old 12-14-1999, 11:42 AM

Don't mean to rub salt, but the Apogees pass 24 bit via thier lightpipe i/o option card.
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 12-14-1999, 02:00 PM

Buy a Panasonic DA7 and old 888s (you can pass 24 bit to through them). For the price of 1 Apogee box you get a full blown 32 channel mixer with comparable A/D, and so much more, including a control surface for ProTools (version 2 of the OS is 1 month away with full PT support). I could go on and on but you should test one, you will be glad you did.
Old 12-14-1999, 07:58 PM

ok,thanks for the advice,but i had two yamaha 02r's running with pro-tools and i sold them,i now own a 16 channel pro-control,so another mixer is out of the question,i have a kings ransom worth of outboard gear,im very impatient,so i took the plunge today,i bought an 888/24 with 2 of the alesis ai3 "24 bit" interfaces,now all i need is a "24 bit" bridge and ill be happy THANKS for the suggestions,Ill put the apogee on the must get list for next year,another question,ive been told today that the lucid converters are better than the apogee,can i get some insight on this?
Old 12-15-1999, 12:46 AM

hehe, ya, Jules is right. Plus their card option is comparably priced around $400.

My point is, get the cheapest possible solution to get by for now. Hopefully the system will pay for itself quickly, and the apogees are then the next logical step.

To put it another way, buy the kia in order to save up for the benz.

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia