Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2016, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Why is Pro Tools 12 Grid Off At Times?

Does this help?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=378115
Old 03-28-2016, 07:34 AM

Hey. I have this very same problem. Grid value when you open a session is actually set to nothing! You only realize this because when you try to select an area on the timeline it places the curser at the start of the session! Very annoying and I have had this since 12.3 I think. Currently at 12.4.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
There is a keyboard command that turns it off. I sometimes hit it accidentally and wonder where my grid has gone. I really need to check in the Shortcut Guide and find out what it is. I'd suggest doing the same thing. I'll check myself when I've woken up properly.

Also, sometimes when you open a backup file to revert to a previous version, the grid gets turned off.

Bear in mind what cwsand said but also there are undocumented keyboard commands to change the grid to triplets or dotted notes.

Cmnd+option+ctrl ((Mac) and the plus and minus keys on the numerical keyboard turns either on or off.

Alternatively in your new session make sure the track is set to ticks rather than samples. I can't remember without being in the studio but I there's a preference to set the grid to default to ticks or samples. I think it's the little metronome icon but again,I need to look when my studio is up and running.

Hi I just set everything to ticks it didn't change the kick track that was cut to the grid its still off. Thanks
Old 03-29-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
A 64th grid is pretty fine. Are your edits exactly 1/64th off, or it it random? Is it the same with 1/4 notes? Very odd if it's reshuffling things.

Steve
Steve I don't understand it either. Also Im not sure if I should go to 12.5 until all my editing is done.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybalm View Post
I used to run windows 7. If you are using midi tracks as well as instrument tracks, that could be the problem. Go into Preferences/Midi and turn off Delay Compensation for External Devices. Another thing I had to do was to never use a midi track but rather use a dummy instrument track and reassign the output to the multi channel instrument you want to control. For example, If you had a midi track assigned to a different channel in Xpand, create an instrument track, don't load any instruments but do reassign the output to Xpand 2. Drag the Midi Track midi clips over to the new instrument track. Delete the now emptied midi track. I don't know why but everything fell in sync when ticking off Delay Compensation and/or reassigning a midi track to an instrument. I am talking about the clips being about a 1/16 note off. If they are off more than that, it has to be an offset somewhere. Also make sure your hardware is not selected as the Windows default audio hardware. There could be clocking problems.
Hi Dave, I first recorded my midi in windows 7 to the grid then I printed this track to audio track. I recall it still being to the grid. Now I went from PC to Mac and my audio tracks is off. I also recall like I said at the beginning of my thread. Ive seen this happen on PC when Ive went from pro tools 10 whatever the last update was then we went to pro tools 11. This cause me so much extra work.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisebuddah View Post
Hey. I have this very same problem. Grid value when you open a session is actually set to nothing! You only realize this because when you try to select an area on the timeline it places the curser at the start of the session! Very annoying and I have had this since 12.3 I think. Currently at 12.4.
Unfortunately for you too, but Im glad Im not the one, I know very annoying and cause a lot more work.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post

Thanks Holler,

No.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:50 AM

Has the tempo changed? Has the start of your session moved? Those are the only 2 "user error" rather than "bug" things I can think of...
Old 03-29-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Has the tempo changed? Has the start of your session moved? Those are the only 2 "user error" rather than "bug" things I can think of...
Hi no tempo changed but I did move session from PC to Mac.