Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2015, 05:26 PM

Default BUG? Pro Tools 11.3.1 crashes whilst saving

BACKSTORY: At first I thought it was caused by melodyne, or the amount of UAD plug ins I was running. However, this was a relatively light session and I was doing some simple editing. Hitting save every few seconds.

PROBLEM: Whilst playing back and hitting save, pro tools first gives me a "soft" blast of square-wavey feedback, similar to a short infinite delay feedback?, not full scale but enough of a blast to tell me all hell broke loose.

Force quitting and rebooting will get things back in order. The strange thing is it creates a new .ptx file (zgmpJPCQmxwhBQCX) I've had a couple of these, not sure if the name changes.

SPECS
Mac Pro 5,1
PT 11.3.1
Apollo Quad, UAD Quad internal card
Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Question Re: BUG? Pro Tools 11.3.1 crashes whilst saving

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhermiston View Post
PROBLEM: Whilst playing back and hitting save, pro tools first gives me a "soft" blast of square-wavey feedback, similar to a short infinite delay feedback?, not full scale but enough of a blast to tell me all hell broke loose.

Force quitting and rebooting will get things back in order. The strange thing is it creates a new .ptx file (zgmpJPCQmxwhBQCX) I've had a couple of these, not sure if the name changes.
When an application saves a file, it really creates a new file with a temp name, then it deletes the original file and renames the temp file to what you specified. How large is that temp .ptx file? Can you open it with Pro Tools?
Old 05-09-2015, 11:38 AM

Default Re: BUG? Pro Tools 11.3.1 crashes whilst saving

The file is 20bytes, with no actual .ptx extension, however the OS recognizes it as a Pro Tools file, but will not open in pro tools.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Question Re: BUG? Pro Tools 11.3.1 crashes whilst saving

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhermiston View Post
The file is 20bytes, with no actual .ptx extension, however the OS recognizes it as a Pro Tools file, but will not open in pro tools.
I think Pro Tools is crashing after it creates the temp file and before it actually saves the session.

Does this happen if you are not using the UAD products at all?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:30 PM

are you using any Air Virtual instruments. Velvet, Transfuzer, hybrid, vacuum pro or loom?

I crash on save with those.

they are useless to figure it out and avid can't seem to help either although they tried, told me they confirmed an issue, but its still not shown as fixed in any of the docs.

I have removed those. Structure seems ok for me, and I've used strike ok as well some.

the others will crush on save for me.

maybe we can try and find a link with OUR systems. cause its something specific to us (a few others for sure that I've read about here and AIR / in music messageboards) but doesn't seem like enough people to warrant any really concern from either party.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 PM

I really appreciate your thoughts! Nobody I know is running a system like mine, perhaps for good reason. However, I'm not on HD on this system, so it's great to have the processing power of 11, otherwise I would stick with 10 for now.

Chief Technician
I haven't tried running without UAD, and I don't really have time to test this out currently thanks to everyones deadlines, but it's certainly worth testing out to weed out the problem.

As usual the problem could be so many things. When this was happening I had safari open, and perhaps a few other small applications. Since having this error I updated UAD to the current version as well. I was current up until the latest update, which may in reality may just have been added plugins rather than upgraded system interfacing etc. Since the updated UAD, and not running any other non dependant apps I haven't had a crash like this.

To add to the possibilities I forgot I have been running the Steven Slate Mix rack plug-in on every channel. On the master fader I have the Virtual Console Mix bus plugin AAX (new), a UAD ATR-102, and meter plugs K-meter. There's just so much going on!

Today I got a nice blast of pink noise and I completely lost output from Pro Tools. Nothing was being bussed through outputs 1-2 according to the internal meters. I should have tried removing plug ins at that point, but I quickly quit Pro Tools and re-opened and it was working again...

When I get a chance I'm going make a new system drive and try running a newer OS. Now that EUCON is Yosemite compatible, I might give it a shot.

SHIFTER MUSIC: Here is everything I'm running.

Mac OS 10.8.5 on an SSD
Pro Tools 11.3.1
Mac Pro 5,1 8Core, 24gigs ram
Playback drive is a RAID 0
Apollo Quad Core
UAD Quad-Core Card

- No Air Virtual Instruments, or any soft synth or Avid plugs in except for Trim, and D3 expander Gate.
- Melodyne Assistant
- SS Virtual Mix Rack
- MDW NATIVE EQ AAX
- Massey CT5
- Meter Plugs K-Meter
- UAD Plug-ins v8.1.0 ( Active plugs in mix sessions were these: 1176AE, Massive Passive, Vari-Mu, LA2A, 2x EMT140 plates, Ocean Way Verb, Lexicon 224, ATR-102) When the crash happened I was probably running UAD at 80% capacity.