Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2001, 05:32 PM

Default LE Mobile Studio?!

I'm gearing up to take my studio on the run with me so i can finish off my cd wherever i go. I would love to get a G4 Powerbook but the new Ibook 500mhz are really sweet and alot cheaper. I run other software besides LE, like.... Recycle, Reason, Reaktor, Metasynth, Absynth, Koblo, synth progs basicly where i'll be using MIDI keyboard with a USB midi box by midi man but do you guys think that the Ibook could cut a mobile studio? and if so... what should i use for an IO instead of my 001 because that stays at home at the real studio where I run a hotrodded G4 400. Thanks alot! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2001, 08:48 PM

Default Re: LE Mobile Studio?!

MOTU 828 it is a firewire I/O, PT won't run on it, but I think you maybe able to run free PT. I am just taking a guess if it will work or not, take a look at the MOTU webpage. I would guess there would be more information there.

Toecat
Old 07-23-2001, 08:53 PM

a bit off subject, but speaking of motu, has anyone used dp3 yet?? it's really really nice. a million times better than previous versions. just the idea of combining a dual 800 G4 and dual processor friendly digital performer 3 gives me shivers.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:10 PM

does anyone know if you can use pt le on the new ibook sans the hardware just for editing on the go?thanks
Old 07-23-2001, 10:43 PM

Yeah, I just want to know if everybody thinks most software would run smoothly on the new Ibook or not. If not then i guess i'll have to save a lil longer and spring for the G4 laptop i guess, hehe [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2001, 01:53 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tgsf:
does anyone know if you can use pt le on the new ibook sans the hardware just for editing on the go?thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. The hardware acts as a "dongle," prohibiting you from using the software without having the DIGI001 attached to it. There are cludgey solutions, such as buying a very expensive external PCI box into which you'd install the DIGI001 PCI card etc. Hmf. Like I said, very cludgey.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:04 PM

Besides which, the ibook doesn't have a PCMIA slot, so you couldn't even use the MAGMA if you wanted to.

For Protools on an ibook- its Protools free or nothin, and that means soundmanager audio, only 8 audio tracks, NO AUDIO INPUT, and limited ability to move your plugins from desk to laptop.

You'll need to think about another program and either a USB audio interface or Firewire audio interface (MOTU 828, MHL expensive box) if you want more than that.

I just heard that the Mac OS drivers are out for the eMagic EMI 2/6, so it looks like I'll be going Logic AP on the road with my G4Ti [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] IF you have a G4PB you could use PTF with the digigram VX pocket as well - some folks are getting usable results with this card - but again its PCMIA only - sorry no ibook.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:36 PM

Well would it be cheaper then to just buy the G4Ti and get a PCMIA card? or to get the ibook and get the firewire device?
I have to get midi and audio data into my computer, i dont care if it's 1- 1/4" input and a midi in and out. Use like a Midisport USB to Midi hub? then i just need a way to record audio and get audio in...hmmmmm. Would reason and rebirth......recycle and say....reaktor work on the ibook? just save loops and things iternaly then send over to my desktop and go from there? Just curious... I need to get a laptop in a few weeks. =-D
Old 07-26-2001, 10:29 PM

Could I as well use the eMagic EMI 2/6, then run Logic Audio Platinum on the Ibook?
Old 07-26-2001, 11:26 PM

Bonjour.

Le mobile studio du Digidesign. hehe