Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2009, 11:09 AM

Lightbulb Pro Tools Video Output Options Compendium

There's lots of recurring questions and confusion about this topic. A recent post by Postman inspired me to review my own notes and write a compendium for the DUC.

Please elaborate, or correct the options (facts, not opinions, please!) and I will add them here in the first post.

Pro Tools video Output options:

1. QuickTime to desktop monitor (1st or 2nd monitor port, with or without DVI-video adapter)
System requirements:
Any Mac or PC with a secondary DVI or equivalent monitor output
PROS: Cheapest solution. Low latency. Good quality when DVI or VGA is used. Handles most codecs quicktime can play back.
CONS: You only have one monitor left for Pro Tools. Uses CPU for video decoding, thus less power available for other tasks (such as RTAS). Output only. Does not output a native video signal: may cause visible tearing due to refesh rate not equal to frame rate. (see Post #2)
PRICE: Adapter 19 US$ from Apple + cable
for example:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8754G/A
http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A
Note: If you're on a Mac Pro or G5, you could use a Matrox DualHead2Go on your primary DVI output to connect one more monitor, but it's not approved by Digi.

2. Canopus converter (ADVC110 is the most popular and approved by Digi)
System requirements:
Any Mac with Firewire port (Firewire 400). FW 800 to FW 400 adapter cable may be needed. Should be used in a dedicated Firewire 400 bus, not in the same bus as interfaces or audio hard disks.
PROS: Cheap hardware. Controlled latency (about 18 quarter frames) . Captures SD analog video in DV format as a bonus (using third party application). Frees CPU from video decoding.
CONS: Mac only. Video must be available in DV format. SD only. Composite or S-Video output only. Irregular and unpredictable sync (see Post #2)
PRICE: about 200 US$
http://www.grassvalley.com/products/...ssional_family

3. Avid MOJO SDI
System requirements:
Any Mac or PC with Firewire port (Firewire 400). FW 800 to FW 400 adapter cable may be needed. Must be used in a dedicated Firewire 400 bus, not in the same bus as interfaces or audio hard disks.
PROS: Direct Compatibility with Avid video files (MXF). No latency with avid video. Captures video directly into Pro Tools session in sync. Frees CPU from video decoding.
CONS: Quite Expensive. SD only. Struggles with codecs other than Avid's.
PRICE: 2500 US$
http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...88865114824752

4. Digidesign Video Satellite LE
System Requirements:
Main system must be Pro Tools HD. Needs a second computer dedicated exclusively to video output. Connects to the main PT system via Ethernet.
Secondary computer could be a Mac Mini, but then you're stuck with the drawbacks of desktop video quality. For best performance, secondary computer should be a Mac Pro with a Decklink HD card. (see Post #2)
PROS: Dedicated, stable, scalable and flexible solution from Digidesign. Frees main CPU from video decoding.
CONS: Relatively Expensive, hassle of second computer
PRICE: Mac Mini+ Mbox micro + Video Satellite = aprox. 1200 US$
PRICE: Mac Pro + Decklink HD +Mbox Micro+ Video Satellite = aprox. 4200 US$

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=36682

5. Avid Video Satellite
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...00&itemid=6362

Please see Post #6 http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.p...29&postcount=6

6. Chase video deck
System requirements:
Pro Tools System with Machine Control abilility and of course a pro video deck.
PROS: You can use professional deck for direct playback and layback. No capture or conversion needed.
CONS: Very specific workflows. Tape-based, linear. Additional wear of deck heads. Downside when editing: forward-selecting to picture is not possible because PT only outputs positional info when selecting backwards. (Post #8)
PRICE: You don't want to know the price of a digibeta deck.
Notes:The Rosendahl Bonsai Drive can be used as a standalone non-linear VTR, eliminating the drawbacks of tape-based decks. SD only.

7. Blackmagic PCI Card
System Requirements:
Any Mac Pro with a free PCI-e slot
PROS: Very good price/performance. Digi approved solution. Accepts all Quicktime-playable codecs. Very good video quality. Controlled latency.
CONS: It uses CPU Power for video decoding. Does not capture into Pro Tools or handle Avid video, unlike Mojo.
PRICE RANGE: from 200 US$ (Intensity) to 1000US$ (Decklink HD Extreme)
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/

8.Virtual VTR
Third party software installed on a secondary Macintosh computer for dedicated video playback and recording."Can be externally controlled via Midi, Sony 9-Pin protocols or TCP/IP, and can also synchronise playback, chasing timecode, even in multi-channel configurations."
PROS: Basically the same as Video Satellite LE
CONS: Basically the same as Video Satellite LE, Mac Only
PRICE: Software is around 1000 US$
http://www.virtualvtr.com/vtrgeneraloverview.html
-Please someone elaborate if inaccurate-

I hope that this will serve as a useful reference for all PT users that need to output video.

Cheers

Last edited by nucelar; 12-03-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Video Output Options Compendium

Nice! I would add...

A con to the DVI/quicktime extended desktop solution is that you don't have a 1:1 synchronized relationship between frame rate and refresh rate, resulting in tearing and visible interlacing. With this method, you're essentially looking at a picture of a video, not a native video signal. Drives me nuts with interlaced content, and I simply don't consider it to be an option. Conversely, the ability to natively output a "real" video signal is a pro for the canopus and other dedicated full-screen video output solutions.

A con for the canopus boxes is irregular and unpredictable sync problems. In my experience testing with a syncheck, it's a crapshoot whether or not your video will play +/- 1 frame out of sync, every time. The best way to keep this problem at bay is to run the the video system on a completely separate data path from your audio, i.e. - dedicated/independent firewire card, (e)SATA for video/firewire for audio. Why do I mention this? Because it increases the cost of the canopus solution. I also read somewhere that you'll get better sync if you turn on your TC generator and work with the transport online, although I haven't tested it.

Also, for the Video Satellite LE option, you forgot to add in the extra cost of the video adapter, assuming you go with a "real" video output solution, and not a desktop video. And why use the VS LE option if you're just going to use extended desktop? I would opt for an HD blackmagic card, which rules out a Mac Mini, further increasing the cost.

Chasing a deck is really not an option when you're spotting FX to sync points. Waiting for the deck to catch up to you and park... nightmare. And I can't imagine having the resources to tie up a deck continuously, day in and day out.

It's really too bad that you can't record video directly into the PT timeline with a blackmagic card, but it's easy enough to run the deck control app in the background for capture. Support for these cards is, IMO, the biggest reason to upgrade to PT8.

What about Virtual VTR?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM

I have always wished this had been developed to an HD spec with HDMI/DVI outs. Still an option for SD though if 9 pin is available.

http://www.rosendahl-studiotechnik.de/bonsai.html

Also, this new PCI/rack solution from MOTU is interesting. A dealer I have chatted with thinks it has the potential to work with PT like the Blackmagic stuff. Lots of ins/outs and under $1k.

http://www.motu.com/video-products/hdx-sdi/
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM

You also forgot to mention the inherit cost of the Video Satellite LE, being the required HD rig to run the audio. To my knowledge, VSle doesn't offer LE to LE system use
Old 12-02-2009, 03:27 PM

And, Canopus offers s-video too! :)
Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
5. Avid Video Satellite
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...00&itemid=6362

-Please someone elaborate - no experience with this.
Performance: . Cost:

Pro: WITH Avid hardware it is top flight rock stable sync and performance, throw in all the other things Avid Media Composer offers (Compatibility, realtime effects like burn-in or correcting for dingy lighting that makes lips hard to see, pretty cool I gotta admit.) Lockup between PT and Avid is two way (the editor can edit with and run your session!) and "near sample accurate" accuracy. Sync during scrub is pretty good, better than firewire at least, so I'll say its a "Pro" instead of a "Con". Digitize to/from anything with the right hardware. Uncompressed high def video with the right hardware and fast drives. Editing is a plus.

Con: The workflow is anti-efficient. Requires a separate computer, a muscle machine preferably. All material must be digitized or imported, unless you are able to open someone else's Avid project. Avid hardware is a must. Media Composer will run without Avid hardware but the fullscreen monitor display is no better than a regular quicktime movie in PT and therefore a waste of money. Editing picture in Avid is much more clunky than editing a movie track in Pro Tools, which becomes important especially when conforming.

Cost: One solid bar of unobtanium. I'm really questioning the value, I mean you know, cost vs. return. Avid markets a "closed system" that doesn't play nice with others. For a facility that has Avid anyway, and can spare a system for the lowly audio sessions, it is a treat. Otherwise, get a price quote for Media Composer NitrisDX and you'll instantly see what I mean. Even a Media Composer MOJODX is beyond reach of most of us, unless you REALLY want to become an Avid editor in your spare time. Don't forget the stepped-up pace of upgrades being demanded by both applications. Oh, sorry, I let loose with some opinion.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 AM

Hey all, great work!
I have updated some facts based on the replies.
Added VVTR to the list.
That MOTU box seems cool!
Cheers
Old 12-03-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin' Audio View Post
I have always wished this had been developed to an HD spec with HDMI/DVI outs. Still an option for SD though if 9 pin is available.

http://www.rosendahl-studiotechnik.de/bonsai.html

Also, this new PCI/rack solution from MOTU is interesting. A dealer I have chatted with thinks it has the potential to work with PT like the Blackmagic stuff. Lots of ins/outs and under $1k.

http://www.motu.com/video-products/hdx-sdi/
BTW:

Rumor has it that rosendahl is working on an HD version of the bonsai (24P etc.). But no idea when it will come to life.

Also the bonsai doesn not necessarily need 9 pin. It chases LTC and locks nearly instantly. For scrubbing etc. MMC will work fine too. Only downside when editing: forward-selecting to picture is not possible because PT only outputs positional info when selecting backwards.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
BTW:

Rumor has it that rosendahl is working on an HD version of the bonsai (24P etc.). But no idea when it will come to life.

Also the bonsai doesn not necessarily need 9 pin. It chases LTC and locks nearly instantly. For scrubbing etc. MMC will work fine too. Only downside when editing: forward-selecting to picture is not possible because PT only outputs positional info when selecting backwards.
Good to know they are pursuing an HD version. I like the small footprint and the fact that it is a dedicated box. Interesting info about the forward selection, could be a deal breaker to me!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin' Audio View Post
Interesting info about the forward selection, could be a deal breaker to me!
Note that this is an issue with all external boxes controlled via MMC or 9-pin. It´s a ProTools-issue not an issue of the bonsai. You will encounter the same with VVTR, doremi, bonsai, beta-machines etc. etc.