Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Default HD vs LE responsiveness

I was at a client's home studio today, helping him with some mixing and tracking issues. He's got an LE stup with a Digi 002 and PT 7.1. I was BLOWN AWAY with how responsive PT was at his house... compared to my HD setup at the studio.

We both have the exact same computer (Mac Dual 2.0 ghz PPC circa late 2004ish). He has 7.1 LE and I have 7.1 HD. Inserting plugins on the LE rig was instantaneous, whereas on my system, it takes a few seconds (for RTAS OR TDM plugs). Opening his sessions seemed like lighnting compared to the 6-7 minute load time it takes for my sessions. Moving tracks seemed zippier. Everything.

Was I imagining this? Is this because the LE is CPU and RAM based rather than TDM based. If I had to mix at my place what we played around with today on his little 002 system, it feels like it would've taken twice as long.

I guess my questions are:

1) does it take everybody 5-6 minutes to open larger 32-48 track sessions with Digi EQs and Comps on lots of tracks?

2) Does anyone use LE AND HD on a regular basis and notice this much of a dropoff?

3) Does it usually take a 2 or so seconds or so to load plugs like Digi 3 comp and eq (not being IMPATIENT hahaha... its just that over the course of a session, opening plugin windows and inserting plugs seems to take longer on my system than a client's... and he has LE, less RAM and etc). It feels like my system hiccups when I load a plug (RTAS or TDM).

I know there's lots of variables. I'm just curious to hear from more qualified experts here. I'm not suggesting I'd like to go back to my 001 rig. I am just amazed how much more responsive and FASTER the LE rig was. To open a song and it not take 5 minutes? Yikes, that would save me an hour a day at least!!!! It makes me wonder if my system is indeed broke (mainly CPU).

any thoughts?

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Re: HD vs LE responsiveness

Brian, it seems as if you are having constant problems with that Mac.
I can open up a complete mix session in about 2 minutes.
80 to 90 tracks with automation.
Once again, you really should have that Mac looked at professionally.
I think there is a serious problem with your system.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 12-14-2006, 06:44 PM

tony's right; something's got to be wrong with your
hosting Mac.

i have LE, HD and MP .. and they're all pretty much the same
on session open .. but .. that's where the similarity ends. HD
(since it's not taxing the CPU as much) is always more
responsive .. and difference gets amplified with each TDM
plug u add.

jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM

Yikes. It's just too hard to pin down. Once I used my clients computer today, I was floored. It felt like going from a 6100 to a G4.

I've tried EVERYTHING I can with this box.

And unfortunately, I have to learn how to manage the schedule better. I am so booked for the next 3 months I do not know when the heck to do a CPU swap... IF I can talk Apple into it. Thankfully I bought it at Sweetwater WITH Applecare. So hopefully it won't mean much downtime. I don't want to lose business because my computer is out.

I am so burned out its unreal. For example, on a typical vocal tracking day, I have 12 songs to open up. On complex numbers, that could take an hour in and of itself. An hour or so of thumb twiddling, or clients going "Dude, with Cakewalk at home, I don't have this." Its embarrasing and frustrating.

I will see if Apple can get me a new OLD mac, since I cannot afford the upgrade...

thanks guys.

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 PM

FWIW, if you are using lots of Digi plug-ins that are "multishell" (that share the same DSPs), you should find a significant improvement in session open and close times with Pro Tools HD 7.3.

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 PM

i feel your pain brian .. i had many similar problems until
i chucked my hosting CPU and OS (an OS with too many W's in it's
name).

what does digitest say?

jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 04:40 AM

Danny, it's good to hear 7.3 opens some sessions faster. But does my case (anywhere between 3-6 minutes for a 32-48 track session) sound normal to you?

Jeff, Digitest comes up A-O-K. But so does everything else on the CPU side too (Rember, Apple Hardware Test, Techtool Deluxe, Disk Warrior, et al).

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 12-15-2006, 06:57 AM

I Feel You My Friend. I just switched From LE To HD about a month ago. and I am running a Mac Dual 2.0 about 6 months old . and the Le ran faster on it that the HD does. I too wonder what the Deal is. How Much Ram Do You Guys Usually Run to get things Moving better. also how much does the Ram affect a HD system. i havent had a chance to add more memory.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:14 AM

Hello,
We had the same problem. We found that the Waves shell was not current, when we updated the shell that did the trick. All plugs are snappy snappy and happy happy..
Rob
Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:

1) does it take everybody 5-6 minutes to open larger 32-48 track sessions with Digi EQs and Comps on lots of tracks?

2) Does anyone use LE AND HD on a regular basis and notice this much of a dropoff?

3) Does it usually take a 2 or so seconds or so to load plugs like Digi 3 comp and eq (not being IMPATIENT hahaha... its just that over the course of a session, opening plugin windows and inserting plugs seems to take longer on my system than a client's... and he has LE, less RAM and etc). It feels like my system hiccups when I load a plug (RTAS or TDM).

I have HD and LE here at my studio side by side, and use them both.
HD = G5 Dual 2,7 GHz with 4,5 GB RAM
LE = Powerbook G4 1,67GHz with 1,5 GB RAM

Pro Tools and Sessions open faster on the LE.
but I think that´s because there are no plug Ins installed on the LE.
HD sessions include lots of plugs and take about 5 minutes to load. I usually leave the room when opening a session and go to the kitchen for a drink...

inserting a digi rack plugin like Dyn3 or EQ3 goes faster on LE. I think that is because of native vs. DSP... AND I WAS TOLD BY A GERMAN DIGI GUY that this is why when I first demoed a HD rig.... so please, Digi, don´t tell me now there is something wrong with the computers...

in fact, Brian, I think there is nothing wrong with your CPU, it´s just a large session, and it takes time...

I´d be surprised to see if that is faster in 7.3...

by the way, I demoed a Mac Book Pro 2,33 GHz with 2GB RAM last weekend, installe LE7.1.1. and had it side by side with LE 7.1. on my powerbook. and guess what: with a open session with 32 Tracks, no plugs, the CPU Meter on the MBP was HIGHER than on the powerbook!!!! but of course you could open way more plugs on the MBP, because the CPU meter seemed to move "slower"... (after all, 2 processors in the MBP!)

hope these thoughts help....

best,
Andi

www.audio-machinery.com