Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 03:54 AM

Default Nipinpg down a short clip in volume

HI Guys
I just realised whilst i was working on a commercial that i didnt know how to do this.

I have a Voice track that is suffering from a very short (about 1/4 second) increse in volume of about +2 db. I dont want to turn down everything else for the sake of this transient, and cant really get it on automation as its too short and i clip the incoming or outgoing audio too.

Is there a way of cutting the offending audio and applying a -2db level change to only the isolated portion?

My solution was to move the bit to a new track as it was the best i could come up with at the time, but now i could do with the real solutions.

Cheers

Peter
Old 10-25-2006, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Nipinpg down a short clip in volume

Precisely select the offending part, then use the Audiosuite Gain plugin.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:26 AM

HI teleplayer
I just tried that. There didnt appear to be an Audiosuite Gain plug in available that would obviously do that. I applied a compressor plug in with the threshold to inactive and dropped the gain that way but ofcourse it needed to be rendered.
Was this what you meant?

Is there no way of typing the value directly to the clip of audio like in Final cut pro etc, or highlighting the clip and have the faders positions set for only the duration of the portion?

peter
Old 10-25-2006, 07:12 AM

There should be a Gain plugin in your Audiosuite menu.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:25 AM

you can select the offending area and switch to the volume automation playlist, then use the trim tool to adjust the automation value for just the selected area. Depending on the nature of the audio, you may need to do some tweaking of the ramps to and from the new level, but that's easy enough.

You could also use the audiosuite plug-in route and render the new level. Go ahead and select a little more than you need to process so that you can trim and adjust the edits and crossfade to make it seamless. I actually prefer this method to automation, unless you already have volume automation on that track. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:27 AM

Thanks guys
Ive found the gain plugin now. It was a bit hidden.
Seems to work well.
thanks very much

peter