Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-1999, 04:06 AM

Default ProControl Monitoring Problems ?

My ProControl has a Phasing Issue. Thru the monitoring section of the board ONLY (Coming in ussing Audio IN 1 & 2 Going out thru Audio OUT) Extended Lows disapear on stereo mode not mono. A out of phase should do the reverse disapear in mono. I used monster cable (DA-88) D-Sub, tested all my cables, Tested thru & without the board with Test tone It's The Board. If you Know something I don't let me know.

Old 11-01-1999, 02:11 PM

Default Re: ProControl Monitoring Problems ?

I have had the same type of problems--what I keep finding is that all the outputs (not any of the inputs) are showing ohm values between them. In other words, every +, -, and ground pin on the output section is somehow getting combined---there are no discreet output channels to talk of. There's a load coming off the ProControl, and it's affecting anything I run into. It's driving my Genelecs crazy, usually shutting them down after the protection circuits kick in. The best audio I can get has a huge amount of hiss in it, combined with out-of-phase information.

I went through one unit, got it replaced. The rep at Digi practically scolded me on the phone, saying I should, and I quote: "Screw my d-sub harness in tighter, that should do the trick." Unbelievable. The second unit did the same thing. I just received a third, which is showing signs of the same problem, although the ohm values are not reading the same as the last two units. I'd love to say it's my fault, but sorry Digi--you have some serious problems going on. I'm setting up one of the largest studios in the middle-atlantic region, and I was going to put ProControls in every room... but now I'm considering alternative methods. I'm sitting in a room with my investors who are putting all their money into this studio, I have a wall of vintage gear behind us that's all working properly... but when I turn on the ProControl and try to run audio to the Genelecs, they shut down, go out of phase, or pass no audio at all.

I've grown tired of calling Digi and getting blamed for this problem, so in the meantime I've had my tech guy wire up a make-shift monitoring section unit. The ProControl is a wonderful piece, and is working like magic otherwise. I'd love to keep this one and order the several others we planned for, but if this problem isn't resolved somehow, I'm going to return it and never bother with one again.

--kevinmac
Old 11-01-1999, 02:39 PM

I think you guys should get a grip and lay off Digi on this one. I have had a PC since May. I know several others who have them and I have NEVER heard of this. Mine works fine. The others in town work fine. You obviously have some other issue to deal with. I am not saying something could fail, but don't rant and rave about the PC being flawed. Do you honestly think Digi could allow that after all the hype about this product?

Come on!

George Cumbee
Classic Recording, Franklin, TN
www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 11-01-1999, 02:54 PM

My PC was plug-and-play and working in about ten minutes from day one. I am really surprised that you are having so many problesm with the PC. Hopefully Digi and yourself will resolve this cause when (and it usually works great) the PC is running, it makes PT an even more productive and powerful system.
Good luck!
Ray

------------------
Ray Fabi
Ton of Bricks Studios Montreal
514-990-2713
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 11-01-1999, 04:13 PM

I'm not slamming Digi... sorry if it seemed that way. I'm just frustrated with this problem. If you plugged in your PC--ethernet, AND audio connections, and it ran perfectly and has since the first ten minutes, then I honestly wish I was you.

Mine hooked up via ethernet perfectly, and worked flawlessly when controlling the software. But the audio connections on the output connector of the units I've gone through are screwed up, and that's what I need fixed. This has become a frustrating problem in this studio, in that we were going to rely on the ProControl for monitoring purposes, which is what it's designed for--and it's not working that way.

Everything else is flawless, and I'm in love with this piece of equipment. I think it's worth every penny for what it does. I must repeat the problems I'm having though:

The +, -, and ground--or in other words--EVERY pin on the OUTPUT d-sub connector on the back of the ProControls I have received are somehow wired into each other. They are not discrete, they are showing ohm values between them and they are wreaking havoc on my active speakers, and causing possible damage.

If it weren't for this problem, I'd be the first guy on this thread to tell you that the PC is worth the money, it's excellent, and I'd also be the first one to buy 2 more for this facility. I can't even get someone at Digi to do a continuity test on the output d-sub because they don't believe me...

--kevinmac
Old 11-01-1999, 04:33 PM

I seem to be in a similar boat.

I too am thrilled with using the ProControl and ProTools combo. But I am also having problems with the analog section, albeit much less severe than described here.

My problem surrounds the pots -- main and aux. Anything below 9 o'clock and the two channels split dramatically. Attenuation is not equal between the two channels. I can get it to where I have no signal L but can still hear R.

Digi tech support consulted the engineering group, and it ended up being a "known issue" with no resolution. Seems strange that Digi would put messed-up pots in a board this expensive and not worry about a fix.

So, be sure to stay above 9 o'clock at all times!
Old 11-01-1999, 05:24 PM

I haven't wired up my D connectors yet - I also have a Genelec self powered setup, I can see how pissed off the guy with the problems must be. I hope he gets a responce from Digi.
Things are finaly starting to hot up for this product, time not for Digi to bury it's head in the sand and get back to the poor guy with an answer!
I will sleep with one eye open untill my unit passes muster on this issue!

Jules
Old 11-01-1999, 07:20 PM

sama thing as kevin mac mine work perfectly with everything except audio monitoring.

Everything was put together in 10min but the audio is out no questions about it it's unworkable I had to redo all my wirering to monitor with other devices. I love my PC no doubt I just don't want to have to use anything else so far digi has been taking the problem lightly blaming me for it. I'm sorry the test I ran don't lie. I'm at list happy that it seams to be a fairly isolated case my hopes are up.
Old 11-01-1999, 08:05 PM

I still contend you guys need to either prove your case or check out your d-sub cables. Again I don't say that there can't be some failure of components. It happens to everyone. I just purchased 4 ADAT M20's and a CADI and have had to replace every piece and we still have some problems. They and the dealer are taking care of it. But, my PC worked fine right out of the box last May. It is still fine. We have mixed, tuned, edited and mastered many projects, some major label. It has been fine. I have used it with Gen. 1031's, Mackie's and in to a power amp with passive speakers. I have never experienced this problem, nor has anyone else I know. Maybe there has been a bad run lately. I do know that if you have a good Digi dealer, they should take care of it.

Please post here what you discover. I think we would all like to know. This is a little strange....

To my knowledge, this is the first time this problem has appeared on this board, so if so, it must be a new hardware problem.

Try checking you cables coming from the interface to the PC and cables to the speakers. I'm sure you have done this, but that could cause this problem. Are you sure you have interpreted the d-sub connector pin-outs in the PC manual correctly?

George
Classic Recording, Franklin (Nashville) TN
www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 11-01-1999, 08:09 PM

After reading your posts again, I am convinced that getting 3 units and having the same problem points to something else being the problem. Hate to say that, but the odds just don't add up.

Will be curious to hear how this one turns out....

George
www.classicrecording.com