Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 AM

Default High Level Guides for Mixing and Mastering Within ProTools

Guys,

I'm looking for high level introductions to mixing and mastering within protools, techniques, tools needed, what to listen for etc etc.

I totally appriciate this is a BIG topic and I'm not looking for a walk through, I'm looking for really two documents that serve as a good introduction with known good information for using pro-tools for these two tasks.

I've just put a few small demo tracks together for a friend and I'd like to use this as a learning experience or introduction.

Anything you have or know is good (there is so much rubbish on the internet) would be most appreciated

thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Default Re: High Level Guides for Mixing and Mastering Within ProTools

I don't have any suggestions as far as literature.... but I have been a big fan of the DVD's from Multi Platnum Pro Tools. You can googel them on the web. They have DVD's for mixing, mastering, editing and a whole lot more. And the best thing is, they do it all in the box (inside PT 7)

I watch the mastering and mixing ones regulary, and always get great new info each time I watch.

Basicaly what they do is give you a huge multitrack session recorded in Nashville by the pro's. They then take this session and walk you though the steps on video.

The mixing engineer is John Merchant who has a long list of hit records and songs he has mixed. I believe he has won a few Grammies as well. I really enjoy this down to earth approach and straightforward teaching style. The dood is bad!

Mitch Gallagher does the mastering DVD. I don't know much about this credits but I got a lot from his lessons, and still do.

All the prices are more then fair for what your getting. If you wanna watch a pro work I suggest you give these a shot. They are very worth the money!

Hope that helps a little!

Nick
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 AM

"high level introduction".....sort of an oxymoron, no? In any case, Bob Katz's book on mastering is a must. Most info on mastering techniques and plugins relate to any DAW and I go back and forth between mastering in PT and Wavelab, depending on what I need to do with the track. Audio manipulation usually gets done in Wavelab as I can render and finish much faster than the real-tme bounce in PT. I prefer PT when I need to do creative fades(Wavelab does linear fades fine but I can't get it to do non-linear-maybe operator ignorance). Also find it easier to copy plugs and fades if I master in PT.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM

interesting feedback, the DVD's sound an excellent idea, however I've just moved from PT7 to 8, as I'm still new with 7 moving to 8 seemed sensible rather than moving to 8 once I'm already in bad habits with 7.

I've got some DVD's for elastic time and a few other topics that translate from PT7 %99 into PT8 fine, but I'd be a little worried about other topics such as mastering not translating from Pt7 to 8 well,
Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 PM

I toatly understand you concerns.

Let me say whats covered in the DVD could be used across any platform. They use a combination of PT plugins and third party, but try to use PT plugs as often a possible to really keep thinks in the box.

Aside from that, I found that what I mainly pick up is dos and don'ts. Standard ways of approaching audio as a whole. They also offer little tricks that can be used on different plugins as well as DAW's. I would hardly say that you will be confined to knowing how to do stuff in PT 7. Its less of a PT guide and more of a guide to mixing/mastering/editing in general, but done on a PT system. Its not a PT tutorial. Its a lesson in the subject covered in the title of the DVD.

Hope that helps a little.

Nick
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 AM

helps a lot, having pretty much zero information on this personally a good high level guide to the process would be most welcome.

I think I'm about to make a purchase, thank you.