Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Separating Track information from a stereo mix (NOT KARAOKEE)

Hi

I have question.

The producer of an surround installation wants me to separate Track Information from a Stereo Track.
For example the singer should be separated as good as possible and routet to a third speaker.

The result must be:
Hearing the musik (and the small rest of the voice) from the front and the singer from the side

Could be this possible (TC unwrap) while sending the a generated center track to a new speaker

What do you think?

Alexander
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Separating Track information from a stereo mix (NOT KARAOKEE)

Have you researched mid-side (m/s) processing? You could use this technique to separate your stereo track to three tracks (middle, right side, left side). Depending on how the original track was panned this might help. A while back someone posted a session template for doing this.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:42 AM

Hmm that looks interesting. I would love to to have that session template.
Any ideas where to get it?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:12 AM

Well
First of all I have already tried the "ms" thing and this works in he right direction.
I thought there could be some "SuperPlug" with the mega super duper algorithm in it.

Ale
Old 09-15-2008, 03:11 PM

You dont need a super duper plug as far as I'm aware.

Heres what I do.

Take a stereo track source, for example drums.

Duplicate it 2 times.

That it acheived by holding Alt + Shift + D.

Choose duplicate times 2.

Now you have 3 tracks of the same audio, hopefully.

Now label the first 2 tracks as "sides" and the 3rd track as "Mid".

Create 1 stereo aux and 1 mono aux.

The "sides" trackss need to be bussed to the stereo aux, for example via buss 1+2.

The mid track needs to be bussed to the mono aux via lets say, buss 3.

Now - on the "sides" tracks, take the 2nd side track and pan it oppositely to the 1st side track, now insert a trim plug-in. This can be found under "Multi-Mono". At this point you "flip" the phase on the trim plugin, by pressing the invert button at the top of the plug-in.

NBow - you should have 5 tracks in total.

2 tracks labelled sides, bussed to a stereo aux and with the panning inverted and the trim plugin inserted on only one track with the phase inverted.

And 1 track labelled mid which is bussed to a mon o aux.

Next - make a selection that loops and see what happens to the audio when you "mute the mid aux" or "mute the sides aux". Hopefully if it was done correctly the kick may dissapear, or the the hi hat may dissapear if the sides are muted.

It sounds a lot more complex than it really is.

If you are still struggling, try a little research on Mid Side Mixing or on Mid Side Mastering, this may help.

If not I know that the grooveboxmusic web site may have a little information on it somewhere.

MS is a great way to master material or to generally spice up a track. It can also be used in a more straight forward way like you are looking at doing.

When I first discovered it I felt like it was the best thing ever, which it is, I love it.

Good Luck.

And remember to do your research.