Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Separating click track levels to mains and headphones...

Is there a way to separate and adjust the level of the click track in PT.
For instance, I have a 002r and basically the headphones for the musicians tracking get the same mix and click level as the mains. Of course my problem occurs when the drummer wants the click cranked up and then it's crazy loud in the control room.
Basically the main outs mirror the monitor outs (driving the headphones) on the 002r.
Can I route the click to one of the outs on the 002r to feed the headphones?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Separating click track levels to mains and headphones...

You can set it up as a send to your Cue mix, then you have sepereate fader. Send it pre fader out to your headphone amp What ever L/R output going to your headphone amp
Old 05-03-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You can set it up as a send to your Cue mix, then you have sepereate fader. Send it pre fader out to your headphone amp What ever L/R output going to your headphone amp
Ok ..im not following completly.
Keep in mind I never go in at look at the routing so im not familiar with it.

So I can send the output on the click track to say Monitor out L, R or both (can it be a stereo fader?)?
That much makes sense to me but when you say send it pre fader are you saying that there is an option to set the Monitor L,R etc. to pre or post fader in the routing or options?

thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 PM

Madcow:
The conceptual solution is that you feed the headphone amp with one of the outputs 3-8. Feed a bus to the output. Feed the bus with sends from each track that you want on the headphone mix, using the send levels as pre-fader so that you have an independent control going to the "headphone" bus.

So - tracks 1 through n (say 4 tracks) have pre-fader sends applied with appropriate mix levels >> Bus y (say Bus 1) >> Physical output z (say Output 8) >> headphone amp input. If you need more mixes, apply more sends/busses/outputs/headphone amp inputs as needed.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Madcow:
The conceptual solution is that you feed the headphone amp with one of the outputs 3-8. Feed a bus to the output. Feed the bus with sends from each track that you want on the headphone mix, using the send levels as pre-fader so that you have an independent control going to the "headphone" bus.

So - tracks 1 through n (say 4 tracks) have pre-fader sends applied with appropriate mix levels >> Bus y (say Bus 1) >> Physical output z (say Output 8) >> headphone amp input. If you need more mixes, apply more sends/busses/outputs/headphone amp inputs as needed.
Perfect...thanks man! I had a hunch but was not sure.

So, for a stereo headphone mix you could make a stereo Aux send and route all audio in PT to that send (using bus's), therefore sending the stereo Aux to say 3+4? Will the stereo Aux give you the paired options (1+2, 3+4 etc.)?

Is this the "Typical" fashion for even HD systems? I assume..

Regards,

Mark
Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Hello Mark,
What do you mean by " Will the stereo Aux give you the paired options (1+2, 3+4 etc.)?"
The prefader track sends will act as an extra stereo bus.
I think someone here /check SPKGUITAR's site/ has a full home studio layout posted, including Cue sends. Might be the DOC...I'm not sure

Quote:
Is this the "Typical" fashion for even HD systems? I assume..
NO, that isn't typical. Pro studios have dedicated multichannel cue systems.

happy tooling,
a

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 PM

If you have mono tracks, the sends for those tracks will be mono. They can be assigned to a stereo bus pair and panned to taste. Stereo tracks will have stereo sends, yes.

It's really the bussing and number of physical outputs they feed that will determine whether you're able to feed one or two channels to your headphone amp.

Did that do it for ya?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:30 PM

Sweet... thanks all!