Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2000, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Time for BeOS

<prophei writes: Umm, did I miss something here? As far as I know, BeOs is based off of unix (you know, that old technology you spoke of),…>

Prophie, maybe in future you should keep your mouth shut unless you know what you are talking about. BeOS is not based on Unix, the Be guys WROTE their own kernel. Geddit? It is a brand new OS! The only relation BeOS bears to UNIX is that it includes a near-posix-compliant terminal (which integrates beautifully with the GUI). Perhaps you could do a little research? Just a suggestion. In any case stop spreading misinformation.

<…has had so little success that it still has no real software support, and now has been written off as essentially useless for normal computing. >

How much software does Mac OS X have? Oh, sorry, MacOS X doesn’t even exist yet does it? BeOS is the best platform for media, it was designed explicitly for media professionals and it is here NOW! Ask any OS expert which is the best multimedia authoring platform. Perhaps ask Linus Torvalds. Which OS does Linus recommend for audio? Surprise, surprise he BeOS! None of the standard MacOS limitations apply to the BeOS. The MacOS is utterly archaic in comparison. Don’t forget that BeOS was coded by ex-Apple employees who got tired of Apple’s mismanagement and inability to order a cohesive OS strategy.

<OS X has proven to be stable, modern and full of great technologies...>

What are you talking about! MACOS X DOES NOT EXIST YET!!!
Presumably you are referring to NextStep. But let me ask you; how much NextStep software do you own?

Irritated,
Ian Stewart Cairns
Old 05-19-2000, 04:49 PM

"How much software does Mac OS X have? Oh, sorry, MacOS X doesn’t even exist yet does it?"

Well, OSX runs OS9 software (at least a decent amount of it). So very little native software, but quite a bit that will run. Digidesign has promised to port to it, and Emagic programmers seem think it will work very well for audio (built in audio and midi engines in the OS).

"What are you talking about! MACOS X DOES NOT EXIST YET!!!"

Well, it hasn't shipped yet, but it does exist in beta form and sounds good from the early reports. So yes, it exists although it's not available to the general public.

Mike
Old 05-19-2000, 06:15 PM

THIS IS ON EMAGIC'S PAGE:

-Emagic puts development work for BeOS on ice.
April 6th 2000
Following intensive internal discussions about the new direction of the company BE, a decision has been taken by Emagic to indefinitely suspend development work for BeOS.
"This decision gives us the possibility to accelerate our development work for Windows and MacOS," says Chris Adam, Emagic's VP of Research and Development. "In our opinion, focusing our efforts this way is in the best interests of Emagic's international customers."

STEINBERG:

BEOS is changing its strategy, so forget about audio for now. This is from cubase.net site concerning NUENDO...
Following this announcement Steinberg has decided to put the development of Nuendo for BeOS on hold.

Plus Creamware and Nemesys (among others) gave up their BeOs projects.

So the question is..... Should Digi spend their time and money supporting BeOS or Should they spend their time making the MAC products even better ?

In my opinion, stick with the MAC !!!

Pleas, Read also:

:"MENLO PARK, Calif. - January 18, 2000- Be Incorporated (Nasdaq: BEOS) today announced that it is shifting its resources to focus primarily on the growing Internet appliance market."

[Complete text available at http://www.be.com/press/pressrelease...1-18_free.html

------------------
-KIMJAZ-
ps: sorry for my english !!
Old 05-20-2000, 04:42 PM

KIMJAZ wrote:
<<Plus Creamware and Nemesys (among others) gave up their BeOs projects.>>

Hi KIMJAZ,

What evidence is there for these assertions you make? I mean I think you are probably right, but I would like some proof. So where is it? Why no press release a la Emagic and Steinberg?

OTOH, did you know that Bias is porting Peak to the BeOS as we speak. It is due for release later this year.

As to your point about staying with the Mac. It is funny how Microsoftian in attitude Mac users become when their favourite OS is perceived to be undermined by a clearly, and I mean CLEARLY superior technology such as the BeOS. They get al defensive, lose any capacity for rational thought and instead of calmly and objectively analysing the situation and coming to the only conceivable conclusion - that the BeOS is LIGHT-YEARS ahead of the MacOS as a true media OS - resort to spouting things like, "Well gee, Mac is the industry standard for music, so why should anyone change", whilst simultaeously bemoaning the intransigence of the people in the Intel world for not worshiping before the altar of their beloved Macintosh. AKA, the ONE TRUE WAY! Hypocritical and irritating in the extreme!

For the record, I grew up with SoundTools, ProTools and Mac's - indeed, I still prefer the MacOS to Windows 98. Don't have Windows 2000 but expect it to be superior to OS X. My last Mac was an 8500 and I just got sick of type 11 errors. I may get another Mac running OS X in the future but only if BeOS ultimately fails and I can't get on with Win 2000.

Regards,
Ian Stewart Cairns
Old 05-20-2000, 08:03 PM

"Bias is porting Peak to the BeOS"

Are you so sure about this? 8)
Old 05-21-2000, 10:13 AM

KymataDigital said:
"Bias is porting Peak to the BeOS Are you so sure about this? 8)"

100000000000% certain. Why don't you write and ask 'em? Then give yourself a treat and buy yourself a copy.
Once you experience BeOS you simply can't go back to the archaic MacOS. As for Mac OS X. Let's wait until next year before we discuss its merits, OK? When it's like, you know, an actual shipping product. What was the famous Steve Jobs maxim: "Great artists ship", right?
Ian
Old 05-21-2000, 10:45 AM

Re: Bias on the BeOS take a peek at:
http://www.lebuzz.com/images/C16_Img.jpg
Old 05-21-2000, 09:44 PM

Hi Ian.

Maybe I didn't made myself very clear in my last post.
Im a 23 years guy and I just judge myself very young to think that only the "oldies" is good. Im not that nostalgic. I love and "need" hi-end technology and Im always open to new things.
I understand that BE original idea was to develop a hi-end OS dedicated to professional multimedia applications, but for me, sounds that BE really changed their mind about their direction. So that's why I don't think a smart idea switch to BE. And I can easily understand why Emagic, Steinburger and etc....forgeting about BE.
Pls note, I don't work for apple or anything related to that kind of company !!! Im just a brazilian musician and producer, a regular digidesing user. I also use Peak, but what third-part plug ins can I use on the BeOs version ?

The Nemesys information was read on a Gigasampler's Forum, it was a post from a forum's moderator wich I beliave works on nemesys, they also mentionate about Creamware. I can't proof you anything, most cause Im not a lawyer, plus I don't have any intetion to be the "owner" of the true.

PLEASE !!!! I don't want to start a personal fight, the main reason I use this forum is to improve knowladge about music/technology and change information with worldwide ppl, but it seems that is not me who isn't analysing the situation....

take care.

------------------
-KIMJAZ-
ps: sorry for my english !!
Old 05-22-2000, 08:19 AM

"I still prefer the MacOS to Windows 98. Don't have Windows 2000 but expect it to be superior to OS X. My last Mac was an 8500 and I just got sick of type 11 errors. I may get another Mac running OS X in the future but only if BeOS ultimately fails and I can't get on with Win 2000."

It's the apps.

Mike
Old 05-22-2000, 08:41 AM

mike connelly wrote:

"It's the apps."

Hey Mike,

guess why I use Windows now? (and minix, Linux, OS2, Unix and BeOS - all on the the same machine -with all the software and hardware I could possibly want, including ProTools). Why would anyone want to buy an overpriced Mac anymore? Because they are fruit-flavored? To please Steve "sociopath" Jobs?

Ian