Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2015, 02:28 PM

Default Pro tools 10 hd worked perfectly. Suddenly freezing and SUPER slow

Hi I have recently used pro tools 10 hd on my pc it's an asus 16 gig quad core. I use the roland quad capture as my interface and I use Windows 8.1. Basically protools 10 hd has worked perfectly fine for me with recording with no latency and play back is perfect. Really all I could ask for. Now literally after doing nothing different or making any changes to my pc one day I opened protools and started a new project (just as I normally would) and it is running SOOOO slow I can't get anything done. Every little thing takes 20 minutes from booting up to creating a new track to arming the track....most of the time it just freezes after I arm the track. (If I get that far) please anyone help me solve this issue. I love the program just not the struggle. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2015, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 10 hd worked perfectly. Suddenly freezing and SUPER slow

Do you have any CD/DVD's in your optical drive when you boot Pro Tools? If so, take them out. It's a known issue.

You could also try trashing preferences and databases.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-18-2015, 02:48 PM

If the above doesn't help, I would restore back to when things were working well. Restore points, drive imaging and drive cloning are 3 functions that every computer user should know about and use

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-19-2015, 08:19 AM

I can't restore to a point before this happend because I hadn't made a restore point yet. Which I guess was an amateur move. That being said it makes no sense that I would have to restore to that point when nothing was changed and pro tools just very randomly became unusable..I followedon't avid instructions to optimize my pc for prools, and I deleted the prefrences. It is still unusable. This is frustrating because I know my computer is powerful enough as I had used it perfectly consistently for a while and then this happend. I've tried everything I can think of included these suggestions you guys have been so kind to make for me. Please any ideas?? It's killing me. Also I have no cd in my cd drive. And nothing is running in the background..
Old 12-19-2015, 08:26 AM

I would start all over again. I was having issues with my rig for around 2 months I'd not changed anything. I reinstalled Windows, pro tools and all my plugins now everything is good and running like a dream. I've now backed this up with Acronis so I can restore to this point if it happens again

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 12-19-2015, 10:53 PM

Just because you are not aware of a change, and didn't execute a change, doesn't mean a change did not take place. Automatic updates: bad. Connected to the interrnet: you are at risk. Import some files from another drive: maybe they were not "clean". Check BIOS and disable floppy if its enabled(even if you don't have a floppy drive).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-22-2015, 06:29 AM

I have all of those things disabled..there are no updates on anything without my permission. I cleaned my pc and relatives installed windows and protools and my interface. Now protools sees my interface onot start up but when I select the quad capture as my device, the buffer selection drop box is not there..it says buffer but the box that's next to it is gone..when I select asio4all it reappears as normal...my drivers are all updated. I'm having WAY to much trouble with this protools...
Old 12-22-2015, 04:26 PM

Make your onboard soundcard the default for Windows sounds/audio and leave the Quad as the interface for Pro Tools.

This is an undocumented, but well known optimization/necessity on Windows from PT11 onwards.

Merry Christmas!
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction