Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 PM

Default Reaper and Pro Tools HD10 rewired!?

Hey Friends

I just bought a reaper license after watching Spenners youtube vids and I have done everything showed in his videos but when I press record on PT the signal from Reaper shows in PT and sound too but nothing records

I setup a VI called Sylenth1 from lennardigital and routed that to a instrument track but nothing records. I might have missunderstood the use of reaper as Spenner only shows 3 videos with audio files loaded into a NI player, however, when I set up a midi channel aswell and record it records midinotes so am I doing this the wrong way setting up this?

Is it meant to record midinotes and then into an audio track in PT as the instrument track gets signals but cant record into PT. Any help here would be very valuable and appreciated as we just payed for the biggest version of reaper and would like to run the few VI's we want that are VSTi and AU.

Big Thank you to Spenner for the tutorial videos

Thank you in advance guys
Best
Chris Cross

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Reaper and Pro Tools HD10 rewired!?

Hi Chris, hopefully we'll have you Sailing to success momentarily. If you want to record the audio from Sylenth, then yes you do need to route the return from Reaper to an audio track. If you inserted the Reaper Rewire plugin on the instrument track, you need to route the output of that track to an audio track to print it. Otherwise, there's no reason you can't record the MIDI and let it play Sylenth all the way through mixdown. The only reason you would need to print the instrument is if you are running out of processing power.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Hi Chris, hopefully we'll have you Sailing to success momentarily. If you want to record the audio from Sylenth, then yes you do need to route the return from Reaper to an audio track. If you inserted the Reaper Rewire plugin on the instrument track, you need to route the output of that track to an audio track to print it. Otherwise, there's no reason you can't record the MIDI and let it play Sylenth all the way through mixdown. The only reason you would need to print the instrument is if you are running out of processing power.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk
Hi Top Jimmy

Thank you Very much for that clarification, I will do as you said as I thought I could use Reaper as a software synth but ofcourse rewired with each Sylenth1 on separate rewire outs and just selecting the track in PT, arm the track with Sylenth on it and record from Pro Tools midiscore but if I do as you explained I can record in Reaper and send to an audio track in PT right?

Is it possible to use reaper as I described or does it only work if I record first in Reaper and then sending to an audio track in PT? Sorry for the many questions but this is the first time we ever used Reaper or a VI host ever and it might be straight forward after a few misshaps but right now it sems a bit complicated

Again, thank you very much for this swift engagement in our attempt to use Sylenth as it is a really great synth for dance music. We have almost all the synths available and thankfully most of them are AAX or RTAS but Sylenth and 2 others are VST's so if I get Reaper to do something close to beeing a "plugin synth" I will jump up and down of joy and the $225 I think we paid for reaper is well spent On another note, Reaper looks like a nice piece of DAW for quicker midi stuff and I am very grateful that you guys have mentioned this DAW a few times here otherwise I would probably never seen it and bought it. Just one more story of how great this forum is and all you helpful friends share with others like me who has had a analog studio for too long and fallen behind in the digital environment so Big Thank You Jimmy and all the others here who take time to moderate aswell as giving up time to chime in whenever we need you

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————

Last edited by Southsidemusic; 04-30-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Price correction
Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 AM

No, there's no need to have to record anything in Reaper as long as you are using it via Rewire in Pro Tools. Reaper is just the plugin host, it's not where you are actually going to do any recording. Using Reaper via Rewire gives you 16 channels of MIDI from Pro Tools to Reaper, and 16 stereo channels of audio from Reaper back to Pro Tools.

There is more than one way to setup the Reaper Rewire scenario. One way is to create 1 MIDI track and 1 Aux track. On the Aux track, open the Reaper Rewire plugin. You'll notice that it has a pulldown menu and you can see the 16 stereo paths that bring audio from Reaper into Pro Tools. You can leave it on 1-2. When you instantiate the plugin, Reaper should open. On the MIDI track in Pro Tools, route the output to one of the Rewire MIDI paths, it might as well be channel 1. In Reaper, create a new instrument track with the instrument you want open on it. For the track input, select the MIDI Rewire path, channel 1. For the audio output, you can leave it to the master as the master routes to 1-2 by default, or you can change the instrument track output to go directly to the Rewire audio path 1-2.

That's all there is to it. When you want to record the VI part, you record enable the MIDI track in Pro Tools and record your part there. The VI will play back through the Aux track.

When you want to add more VIs in Reaper, you just create more MIDI and Aux tracks in PT and more instrument tracks with VIs on them in Reaper. If you setup the routing correctly, each instrument will have its own unique MIDI and audio paths and will play back on separate tracks in Pro Tools,

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
No, there's no need to have to record anything in Reaper as long as you are using it via Rewire in Pro Tools. Reaper is just the plugin host, it's not where you are actually going to do any recording. Using Reaper via Rewire gives you 16 channels of MIDI from Pro Tools to Reaper, and 16 stereo channels of audio from Reaper back to Pro Tools.

There is more than one way to setup the Reaper Rewire scenario. One way is to create 1 MIDI track and 1 Aux track. On the Aux track, open the Reaper Rewire plugin. You'll notice that it has a pulldown menu and you can see the 16 stereo paths that bring audio from Reaper into Pro Tools. You can leave it on 1-2. When you instantiate the plugin, Reaper should open. On the MIDI track in Pro Tools, route the output to one of the Rewire MIDI paths, it might as well be channel 1. In Reaper, create a new instrument track with the instrument you want open on it. For the track input, select the MIDI Rewire path, channel 1. For the audio output, you can leave it to the master as the master routes to 1-2 by default, or you can change the instrument track output to go directly to the Rewire audio path 1-2.

That's all there is to it. When you want to record the VI part, you record enable the MIDI track in Pro Tools and record your part there. The VI will play back through the Aux track.

When you want to add more VIs in Reaper, you just create more MIDI and Aux tracks in PT and more instrument tracks with VIs on them in Reaper. If you setup the routing correctly, each instrument will have its own unique MIDI and audio paths and will play back on separate tracks in Pro Tools,
Hey Jimmy

That was awesome tutorial on this issue. Tried it today and with the routing you described here in this post everything works Great! Thanks to you we can use these elusive VST PI's so a BIG HUGE THANK YOU for this

Sincere thank you for your time in helping me to make it work like I hoped it would.

All the best
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-21-2015, 03:40 PM

How are you all. I downloaded reaper to check out some microtuning synths on PT8/windows 7. When I open the synths on Raper as a stand alone, my midi keyboard triggers them without issues -activating the realtek digital port as well as the maudio fast track pro sound card. However, when I use reaper within protools, the virtual instruments in protools are triggered but the ones riding on reaper do not respond to the midi keyboard input. I will take all advice. If anyone can help, Id appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannielexists View Post
How are you all. I downloaded reaper to check out some microtuning synths on PT8/windows 7. When I open the synths on Raper as a stand alone, my midi keyboard triggers them without issues -activating the realtek digital port as well as the maudio fast track pro sound card. However, when I use reaper within protools, the virtual instruments in protools are triggered but the ones riding on reaper do not respond to the midi keyboard input. I will take all advice. If anyone can help, Id appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I made a fairly detailed post up above in this thread. If you follow it, you should be able to get it to work.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I made a fairly detailed post up above in this thread. If you follow it, you should be able to get it to work.
+1

You really helped me out buddy Very solid advice and detailed info on how to.

Almost 2.5 years ago

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-22-2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks. Will read in detail.