Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 AM

Default Annoying bug introduced in 10.3

I have a pretty large number of plug-ins.

Here is the way I have navigated to the right plug-in since PT6. Let's use an rtas Waves REQ6 for this example. BTW, I have my plugs organized by both category and manufacturer, but this bug affects all organization types.

I click on an insert slot, hover my mouse over Native, hover over EQ and then while hovering over any of the EQ plugins listed I can start typing the name of the plugin. If I type REQ then the first of the REQ plugins (REQ1) is highlighted. I can simply arrow down twice to highlight REQ6 and then press Return to instantiate the plugin. Again, I have a lot of plugs and this workflow saves time.

Now, when typing in plug-in names, command focus is still reacting to my keyboards input! When I type in the letter E, toggle zoom is activated for example. The most annoying is the RETURN button to select the plugin. That sends my playhead back to the start of the session. This is happening EVERY TIME I select a plugin.

I am trying to break my old system for locating plug-ins because of this but I have been doing it for so long that it's just a reflex now.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Thanks.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.10 - macOS Big Sur 11.6
10 Core iMac Pro
64GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB
UA Apollo x8
Old 09-15-2012, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Annoying bug introduced in 10.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretfingers View Post
I have a pretty large number of plug-ins.

Here is the way I have navigated to the right plug-in since PT6. Let's use an rtas Waves REQ6 for this example. BTW, I have my plugs organized by both category and manufacturer, but this bug affects all organization types.

I click on an insert slot, hover my mouse over Native, hover over EQ and then while hovering over any of the EQ plugins listed I can start typing the name of the plugin. If I type REQ then the first of the REQ plugins (REQ1) is highlighted. I can simply arrow down twice to highlight REQ6 and then press Return to instantiate the plugin. Again, I have a lot of plugs and this workflow saves time.

Now, when typing in plug-in names, command focus is still reacting to my keyboards input! When I type in the letter E, toggle zoom is activated for example. The most annoying is the RETURN button to select the plugin. That sends my playhead back to the start of the session. This is happening EVERY TIME I select a plugin.

I am trying to break my old system for locating plug-ins because of this but I have been doing it for so long that it's just a reflex now.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Thanks.
It is NOT only the menus affected by this. Plug-ins like Vienna Instrument is also affected... i cant even enter a Preset name in it... Protools thinks that I am typing key commands and starts reacting....

The strange thing is that I cannot reliably reproduce it... Sometimes it happens other times NOT... Just tried your scenario with the plug menus... And I have NO trouble 'keying' the plugs and using return/enter etc... I did yesterday however...

Try starting a fresh session and make ONE track only and try again.. perhaps some plug or something later in the workflow is causing this
Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 AM

I trashed my prefs, removed all DPM plugins, left the stock AAX plugins and started a new session. Still not fixed.

I also tried the opposite, removing all AAX but leaving all DPM. Still nothing.

Anybody else getting this?

10 Core iMac Pro
UA Apollo x8
Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 AM

have you tried unclicking keyboard focus in the edit window before you start typing. then re-clicking it when your out. keyboard focus has always been kinda chinsey hit or miss for me since 8 so ive become accustom to making sure there are no yellow buttons lit up before i try any type anything if im not trying to have the edit window in key focus.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Although very annoying, turning off command focus helps with some of the single key commands.

It doesn't address hitting the return key used to select the plugin. My timeline jumps back to the start every time I select a new plug.

10 Core iMac Pro
UA Apollo x8
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM

I cant replicate it here but i am on a windows 7 system... have you tried clearing your prefs and databases yet? May be a mac specific bug though.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Yes, I have trashed my prefs. Thanks.

10 Core iMac Pro
UA Apollo x8
Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 AM

anyone else in front of a mac want to test this? you should submit a support case frefingers i don't see it on the bug list.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 PM

I was hoping to have a few others re-create this before submitting. I'll give it another day or two.

10 Core iMac Pro
UA Apollo x8
Old 09-17-2012, 06:17 PM

Unhappy Re: Annoying bug introduced in 10.3

This has been driving me crazy all day too!