Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Major problem w PTHD 7.4cs2 Apogee AD16X/DA16X/Rosetta 800

After three hours of messing around with my HD rig, I just had to cancel a session, and I'm lost as to how to fix this problem. I ran the setup all day with no problems: HD1 on a G5 quad 2.5 Ghz (PPC) machine running OS 10.4.10, PTHD v7.4cs2; AD16X (clock master), DA16X, and Rosetta 800. All of a sudden, while recording after about 2 - 3 minutes, audio cuts out and the AD16X's clock source switches from internal to WC and loses sync.

However, I'm not getting any kind of error message from protools, it keeps running as if everything is fine, just no audio input or output. I have to restart the system each time, and each time I can only record for another 2-3 minutes before it happens again. The configuration is good, and I ran it all day today with no problems (I've also been running this setup basically trouble free for the past three months.)

I also notice that after this happens and I reset the AD16X's clock source to internal, it goes back to WC when I shut the computer down. Once the computer is off, I power cycle the Apogees, restart them and make sure they're all properly synced. ProTools starts up fine, but then the problem repeats itself.

I've tried all of the standard trouble shooting such as deleting prefs, databases, repairing permissions, etc. I haven't tried reinstalling Protools, but I'm hesitant to do that as this is a location gig and I don't have my original installers or documentation with me.

Any advice or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!! I'm worried that I'll have to cancel tomorrow's session in if I can't get this straightened out, but I'm totally at a loss for what to do next.
THhanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Major problem w PTHD 7.4cs2 Apogee AD16X/DA16X/Rosetta 8

Running a Rosetta800 with an HD2 Accel and I have had issues relating to the memory usage in 7.4cs2 but not anything like the problems you are experiencing.. Have you made sure that your XHD cards are running the latest firmware from Apogee? I updated mine about 6 months ago and all has been fine since. Just a thought..
Old 01-27-2008, 07:18 AM

has your setup running flawless with previous pt software versions? another thing to check is a clock fault at your ad16x. does the ad16x (clockmaster) loses sync and switches to WC if protools isn´t running? also remove all xhd cards and check if your clock-chain works. and as druphus said, check the software version of all your apogee devices and firmware of the xhd-card. 7.4cs2 is running perfect here with the apogees.
HTH...
alex
Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 AM

Thanks for your suggestions and sorry I didn't reply sooner. It actually turned out to be a corrupt session file! It seemed like such a hardware-related issue that that didn't occur to me for a while. But after importing everything into a new session all was well. Regardless I do need to update the firmware on the apogees asap.
Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM

Although the immediate problem this past weekend seemed to be a corrupt session, I'm still finding my system very unstable. Most of the time, when I boot protools my AD16X's clock setting changes from internal to WC and I get an -1125 error. Also, when I shut down or restart my computer, the AD16X will randomly change sample rate, sometimes to 192k, or will lose sync and go to 000.0 (still showing int sync). I just updated the firmware on all three X-HD cards, and both the AD- and DA-16xs have the latest firmware versions as well. This problem was beginning intermittently before I installed 7.4cs2 but has seemed worse since. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Once I finally get the system up and running, it's pretty stable, but it's become a real challenge to boot protools without the clocking of the Apogees going wrong. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM

again, did you also update the x-hd firmware? in your setup it should be V2.07...

uups, sorry! i sholud read before reply...
Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 AM

Update the firmware as it brings vast improvements in terms of stability and all latency issues have been resolved..