Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Memory allocation problem

I've been running the 7.4cs2 update for a couple of days without problems. Today for the first time I got an error message near the end of the ProTool boot process saying that I did not have enough memory for the current playback engine and that the Playback engine setup page would automatically load. The problem is that ProTools seems to be stuck on 125MB allocated no matter what I do.

What I usually do when I first run a new version of ProTools, is max out my voice count and DAE playback buffer so that ProTools allocates the maximum amount of memory. Then after ProTools has restarted I set the voice count and buffer to what I really want. ProTools remembers it's maximum memory allocation and I never need to restart if I want to change something. I was running ProTools 7.4 at its new maximum of 300MB without problems when I upgraded to 7.4cs2. I hadn't trashed prefs and noticed that none of the ProTools or DAE prefs were reset with the upgrade and the memory allocation was still 300MB. So I left it alone and know I restarted ProTools a couple of times since upgrading without problems.

Today when I got the error message and ProTools opened the Playback Engine panel, the memory allocation was set to 125MB. I had not changed it. When I maxed out voices and DAE buffer, ProTools reported that I would have to restart to reserve the 230MB I would need. I click OK, and ProTools quits. After restarting I get the same error message and when the Playback Engine panel opens my memory allocation is still 125MB. I removed every plug-in except the mixers, trashed my ProTools 7.4 prefs, my DAE prefs, and my Digi Setup pref. Same deal, restart, same deal. I cannot get ProTools to allocate anything more than 125MB.

Is there a file somewhere that stores the memory allocation table that may have gone nutz?

I usually run 128 voices on four chips with the level 4 DAE buffer which is 154MB, so this is a bit of a show stopper. Any ideas?

STeve

Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7 GHz, 2.5 GB RAM, OS X 10.4.10
Magma 13 slot 32bit chassis, Atto UL3D SCSI
HD core, 4x Accel, 2x HD Process
1x 192, 1x 888|24, sync i/o
ProTools 7.4cs2, Logic 8.0.1, Live 7.0.1
Old 12-24-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Memory allocation problem

Quote:
I've been running the 7.4cs2 update for a couple of days without problems. Today for the first time I got an error message near the end of the ProTool boot process saying that I did not have enough memory for the current playback engine and that the Playback engine setup page would automatically load. The problem is that ProTools seems to be stuck on 125MB allocated no matter what I do.

Steve, I believe I experienced this but before the update.

and it sort of worked itself out

i'm thinking it is an anomaly quirk

all sessions i have been working on have been generated/originated from here no outside files coming in.

i have only started a few sessions in 7.4 and i have not created a 7.4 template yet and i'm thinking this may be a good idea.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Steve, I believe I experienced this but before the update.

and it sort of worked itself out

i'm thinking it is an anomaly quirk

all sessions i have been working on have been generated/originated from here no outside files coming in.

i have only started a few sessions in 7.4 and i have not created a 7.4 template yet and i'm thinking this may be a good idea.

Thanks Jimi,

I almost never launch ProTools by opening a session file, but rather open the application first. I found out that my problems seem to be with me trying to set the maximum memory allocation of 300MB. I was able to get ProTools to allocate and remember 180MB, so I am able to run my standard Playback Engine. After I got 180MB the first time, I tried for 300MB again and I reverted to 125MB. Going for the maximum memory allocation is something I've been doing since OSX and it was working fine for me with 7.4.

The only other things I've done to my computer in the last day are, install demos of URS Channel Strip Pro and Breverb (fantastic reverb plug-in), and I updated Melodyne to the latest version 3.2.2. Removing all plug-ins didn't change anything, and I did remove an old Melodyne ReWire plug-in but that didn't make any difference.

I seem to be back on line, but there is something thats not happy with memory allocation.

STeve
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 AM

I am having this problem now. After every restart it gets stuck on 125mb allocated. Is this a confirmed bug. Started happening after CS2 for me.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:05 PM

When it says a restart is required that by no means is for Pro Tools
you MUST re-start ( re-boot ) the CPU
if you launch PT prior to re-booting it reverts to the minimum
it has been this way for years now

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I just tried it and it worked fine.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I just tried it and it worked fine.
I definitely know what I'm doing, some of us are having a problem.

STeve
Old 01-10-2008, 12:32 PM

And some of us aren't. It's good to know whether it's an issue with everyone or not. Relax.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
And some of us aren't. It's good to know whether it's an issue with everyone or not. Relax.

no stress here

I set up a friends computer that is very much like mine and he didn't have the problem.

STeve
Old 01-10-2008, 01:24 PM

Is this common practice to try and get PT to max out memory allocated? This is the first time I have heard of this...Maybe something I should try?