Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 06:02 AM

Default Pro tools Digi oo2 rack version

Can anyone help, lately the light of my samplerate led goes off and Pro tools say " Cannot communicate with Pro olls LE"
I've checked the fire wire, even put a new cable in, even changed from firewire port, but no luck, I cannot connect anymore.
When I switch the Mac (G5 double processor 2.0) off and turn it on again, sometimes it works again, but in the middle of a session, it disconnects again. Anyone having had the same problem?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Pro tools Digi oo2 rack version

Try plugging into the front firewire of the mac. This is a known issue about this mac.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:29 AM

I've seen this behavior when the 002 rack needed a new power supply and harness.
Digi has been great with supplying these for the units that were defective.
There are some threads with the issues that were caused with bad supplys.

I've also seen this with recording to some FW-800 drives.
It can be fixed by using a pci firewire card.
If you are pci-x, the Adaptec 8300 worked for me.

bc
Old 09-04-2006, 01:25 PM

This same behavior just cropped up on me today. I had my 002-Rack in it's box on a shelf for the past couple of months as I was building my studio. Well, I got my studio carpeting put in at the end of last week and started to set up in my new room. Suddenly, yesterday, in the middle of playing back a session, I would lose sync. Today, PT tells me it cannot find or connect to the device. I notice the 1394 light on the front is out and the sample rate light is generally off.

Finally I reseated the leads coming out of the backside of the IEC connector (inside the 002-rack). I also reseated the little multipin connector the right hand wall of the unit. This seamed to help. I got it back up and working for a while.

Later, I tried firing up the system again, same problem. Reseated the same connectors and now it works again.

Any one know which connectors are usually to blame? Is it the 3 wires coming off of the back of the IEC connector or that multi-pin?

I will be calling Digi in the morning, I guess.

I should add that I've had the unit for just over a year now with no problems until yesterday. It's serial number ends with a "G", supposedly that means it won't have this problem.

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
Old 09-05-2006, 01:16 AM

This can be one of the following problems:

1)POWER HARNESS
this is a well known problem with 002r and 002 units. Do a search on the DUC and you will find lots of
info on that. Basically it's the power connectors inside the 002. You can hear the 002 clicking and clicking (more than the ususal 3 times) when powering up. Call DIGI support and they will send you you a free replacement kit (even if it's an older unit).

2)Firewire Board
if it's not the Power Harness problem it might be that the FW port of the 002 are burnt out by hot plugging to your computer. In that case also call DIGI support but most likely you have to sent your unit to a DIGI approved workshop to get the FW board replaced.