Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2008, 10:29 AM

Default how do i empty the clipboard??

1. im trying to select unused audio.. my tracks have only a handful of regions.. my region list has a mind-bendingly huge pile of audio in it

2. my session is really friggin slow and rainbow-balling like its going out of style.

clipboard is full.. must empty.. please help

pk
Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Re: how do i empty the clipboard??

Quote:
1. im trying to select unused audio.. my tracks have only a handful of regions.. my region list has a mind-bendingly huge pile of audio in it

2. my session is really friggin slow and rainbow-balling like its going out of style.

clipboard is full.. must empty.. please help

pk

In regions bin pulldown menu "select unused" then select "clear selected" here you can remove from session or delete permanently from hard drive!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 AM

hey chris.. should have been more specific.. i know how to select unused and remove/delete

what im saying is that when i remove all the unwanted audio from my tracks and select unused it isnt actually selecting all the unused.. meaning that protools thinks that almost all of the audio in my region bin is being used.. even though it isnt on any of the tracks in the session.. so i have no way of deleting it except to select each region one at a time and remove..

the other issue is that the session is very slow to save and do a number of other things.. which makes me think that there is something outside of my control (CLIPBOARD) that is slowing down the session..

ive tried all the usual ways to do it..

also even if this is being caused by something else i'd still like to know how to empty the clipboard and what it is that fills it up.. just for my own knowledge

thanks chris

cheers

pk
Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
hey chris.. should have been more specific.. i know how to select unused and remove/delete

what im saying is that when i remove all the unwanted audio from my tracks and select unused it isnt actually selecting all the unused.. meaning that protools thinks that almost all of the audio in my region bin is being used.. even though it isnt on any of the tracks in the session.. so i have no way of deleting it except to select each region one at a time and remove..

the other issue is that the session is very slow to save and do a number of other things.. which makes me think that there is something outside of my control (CLIPBOARD) that is slowing down the session..

ive tried all the usual ways to do it..

also even if this is being caused by something else i'd still like to know how to empty the clipboard and what it is that fills it up.. just for my own knowledge

thanks chris

cheers

pk
Hi,

Have you been able to select unused and remove any regions? or are they not being selected, when you select unused?

To help speed up your session i would open a new session and use import session to import all the tracks from the session. be sure to tick tempo/markers etc to import them!

See if this new session runs faster!! might be something funky happening with your session causing it to slow down and not function correctly.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 PM

One thing to check is if your session contains hidden tracks then these regions will not be selected when you use the select unused command- they have to be on screen. This is the same case for any tracks with alternate playlists that also contain regions- To get rid of these delete any unused playlists. After this if you then select and remove (not delete!) unused audio you should only be left with the parent audio file and any regions you have created which are only references to the original audio files. Also check your playback engine settings if your system is being overly sluggish. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:34 AM

I tend to do this procedure twice (or until no regions are selected anymore): select unused and delete these files.

Then close the session and reopen. Now select unused and delete the files. As on closing and reopening the history is deleted, you sometimes select some more files that way.

If you mean the clipboard as in copied items, just select a small region and copy that, that would delete a large file in the clipboard.

Hope this helps,
Timothy
Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 AM

I often have to go through this procedure of closing a session and reopening it remove all of the unused audio too. I always used to assume that the reason it won't remove all the audio in the first place must be something to do with the undo queue or clipboard or something. I now believe this is a bug. I've been working on a particularly massive session in the past month (2 nights of a 2 hour live recording). When I split the recording up into more manageable sessions for each song - I would try and remove the unused audio. I would usually have to close and re-open the session 5 or 6 times (each time removing more unused audio) before the session was actually rid of all the unused audio! Digi I think you need to take a look at this one.....

Robert
Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 AM

I haven't tried this yet, so this is just a guess. How about temporarily setting the undo level preference to 0, and then copy a used region to the clipboard? Might that clear the clipboard of old files?

STeve
Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
...what im saying is that when i remove all the unwanted audio from my tracks and select unused it isnt actually selecting all the unused.. meaning that protools thinks that almost all of the audio in my region bin is being used.. even though it isnt on any of the tracks in the session.. so i have no way of deleting it except to select each region one at a time and remove...
This sounds like a bug in 7.31 (unknown for 7.4) where some regions get stuck and will not clear by using "Select Unused Regions". Watch this video and see if the situation looks familiar. I deal with this bug several times a day.

The only work-around that I've come up with is to;
1) close the session (Save)
2) reopen the session
3) try to select unused again (it should work now)

The cause of this bug still alludes me, but I'm 90% sure that it has something to do with using "Region Groups"; the only regions that get stuck seem to be regions that were , at one time, part of a "Region Group".