Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2023, 11:53 AM

Default Re: UVI Falcon 3.0 Is Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
You're going to LOVE this, Jack. So, I can't get MIDI out to work at all with Falcon in Standalone mode. I know I have the MIDI set up correctly because I CAN get MIDI out to work with Reason in standalone mode using the exact same MIDI routing. So its F3, not me! (And, yes, I'm on Windows as well).

I also already told you that the MIDI out module does NOT appear as an option with F3 in AAX mode on a PT instrument track. So, I got the idea to host F3 as a VST on an instrument track using Blue Cat's Patchwork as the host. That worked! I had the MIDI out module available AND, by setting the MIDI out for BC Patchwork correctly, I can route the MIDI to play an external synth. BUT, I can NOT get ANY MIDI signal from F3 to play any VI hosted in PT. It's weird!! Clearly the MIDI out is working (at least in VST mode hosted in BCPW), but only to external synth. And I KNOW I have the MIDI routing correct because I can have a Reason player hosted in the rack in PT playing another VI in PT using the exact same MIDI route. For some reason, F3 will not talk to the internal MIDI for PT to recognize.

Something is definitely weird as the MIDI out module is available to me when F3 is on a PT instrument track insert. I have two ways to get it in use. One is to go to the 'edit' page in F3 and click on the plus (+) sign in the row marked 'event'. The other is to go to the 'events' tab that's just to the right of the 'effects' tab. I then drag in the MIDI out module from the tab with the tied notes to underneath the last module in the 'events' tab.

I'm going to have to try your method and see what happens.

Attached are two screenshots of what I'm seeing.

Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 2.47.09 PM.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-10-28 at 2.47.33 PM.jpg (20.4 KB, 0 views)

QAPLA!
Old 10-28-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Something is definitely weird as the MIDI out module is available to me when F3 is on a PT instrument track insert. I have two ways to get it in use. One is to go to the 'edit' page in F3 and click on the plus (+) sign in the row marked 'event'. The other is to go to the 'events' tab that's just to the right of the 'effects' tab. I then drag in the MIDI out module from the tab with the tied notes to underneath the last module in the 'events' tab.

I'm going to have to try your method and see what happens.

Attached are two screenshots of what I'm seeing.
Okay this is getting weirder by the minute. I have the MIDI player with F3 in AAX mode, but NOT the MIDI out module. That only shows up with F3 in VST mode (standalone, or hosted in Blue Cat Patchwork). You seem to have it in AAX mode...so....why don't I as well? ARRGGGHHHHH!

Old 10-28-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Okay this is getting weirder by the minute. I have the MIDI player with F3 in AAX mode, but NOT the MIDI out module. That only shows up with F3 in VST mode (standalone, or hosted in Blue Cat Patchwork). You seem to have it in AAX mode...so....why don't I as well? ARRGGGHHHHH!
That's what I don't understand and deepens the mystery a lot. Sorry for the blurry screenshots as that's the best I could do as I don't have anyplace to host a better shot. Do you have a daw that does vst or au? I see the MIDI out module in Digital Performer 9.52 but have the same issues with no MIDI data going out of Falcon. Heard from a fellow in another forum and he too is having the problem in PT, DP (au & vst3) and Studio One (vst 3). Guessing from him having au format plugins he's on a Mac but this seems cross-platform.

QAPLA!
Old 10-29-2023, 06:58 AM

Donald et al:
I think I found the answer to the MIDI out issue with Falcon 3. A Duck Duck Go search (I don't use Google) for the term 'routing MIDI out from an instrument in Pro Tools' turned up many things. Went with this link: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209558309-Pro-Tools-Guide-Sending-MIDI-from-the-KOMPLETE-KONTROL-Plug-in

While we're not using Komplete Kontrol it still applies to any instrument. What apparently we were missing is having to record enable both the track that has F3 and the target track. Works for both internal softsynths in PT and the external synth thing as well.

Have a good Sunday.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 10-29-2023 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:36 PM

And now for Monday's update:
UVI dropped Falcon 3.0.1 which apparently has fixed the MIDI out in standalone mode. What they don't tell you is you have to properly configure the MIDI out in Falcon's preferences to point to the MIDI device you're using. Still same deal with F3 in PT - you need to follow the NI article.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 10-30-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Donald et al:
I think I found the answer to the MIDI out issue with Falcon 3. A Duck Duck Go search (I don't use Google) for the term 'routing MIDI out from an instrument in Pro Tools' turned up many things. Went with this link: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209558309-Pro-Tools-Guide-Sending-MIDI-from-the-KOMPLETE-KONTROL-Plug-in

While we're not using Komplete Kontrol it still applies to any instrument. What apparently we were missing is having to record enable both the track that has F3 and the target track. Works for both internal softsynths in PT and the external synth thing as well.

Have a good Sunday.

Jack, this is what I always do. With every other VI or player that has a MIDI out of any sort, I set it up this way with no issues. But of course, if I don't even have the MIDI OUT module available to me in AAX mode on an instrument track, its all moot anyways. Hopefully 3.1 will solve that. Unfortunately, I won't be able to check it until after I get back from a little trip I'm taking this week. So, it'll be next week before I know if problem is solved.

I know I had the MIDI stuff all set up correctly because it worked fine with Reason players with MIDI out either in standalone or on an instrument track. Same for the MIDI out with DS Thorn as well as with InstaComposer. The proper MIDI routing was never the issue...I have that down. Thanks for the post. I'll report back next week when I can download the update and hopefully problems all solved!

I think its me, I really do. Every time some plugin or VI comes out with some really cool new feature, it seems like the whole world is having fun with it...and I can't get it to work! I'm cursed! Then again, it is Halloween.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Jack, this is what I always do. With every other VI or player that has a MIDI out of any sort, I set it up this way with no issues. But of course, if I don't even have the MIDI OUT module available to me in AAX mode on an instrument track, its all moot anyways. Hopefully 3.1 will solve that. Unfortunately, I won't be able to check it until after I get back from a little trip I'm taking this week. So, it'll be next week before I know if problem is solved.

I know I had the MIDI stuff all set up correctly because it worked fine with Reason players with MIDI out either in standalone or on an instrument track. Same for the MIDI out with DS Thorn as well as with InstaComposer. The proper MIDI routing was never the issue...I have that down. Thanks for the post. I'll report back next week when I can download the update and hopefully problems all solved!

I think its me, I really do. Every time some plugin or VI comes out with some really cool new feature, it seems like the whole world is having fun with it...and I can't get it to work! I'm cursed! Then again, it is Halloween.
As mentioned I always had the MIDI out module - hopefully the update helps you out. I tried to get the update via the Portal but kept getting a 'direct download' error so had to manually download it.

As far as F3 in standalone and the MIDI routing make sure to properly setup the MIDI routing in F3's audio/MIDI settings in the 'File' menu that's between 'Falcon' and 'Configuration' in the Falcon menu bar.

Good luck on the trip.

QAPLA!
Old 11-03-2023, 11:35 AM

Hi guys,

How is Falcon on the CPU?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before!
(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)
Old 11-03-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthm View Post
Hi guys,

How is Falcon on the CPU?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before!
Not too bad. Even better if you run it in VEPro 7 which multi-threads.

QAPLA!
Old 11-06-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
As mentioned I always had the MIDI out module - hopefully the update helps you out. I tried to get the update via the Portal but kept getting a 'direct download' error so had to manually download it.

As far as F3 in standalone and the MIDI routing make sure to properly setup the MIDI routing in F3's audio/MIDI settings in the 'File' menu that's between 'Falcon' and 'Configuration' in the Falcon menu bar.

Good luck on the trip.
Jack, I am happy to report that the update for F3 solved all the issues. I now have the MIDI out module available with F3 in PT on an instrument track and I can call up one of the many sequence modules and send it to another VI on another instrument track and it plays along just fine! So that's working now.
Slide the pizza under the door, I'll be busy for a while!!